"Attention...the Silvertone Train is Leaving the Station..."

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
This link will return the current eBay auctions for Silvertone tube amps; eBay Silvertone amp search link

About the time I joined, the talk was about dem despicable 'speculationists' driving up the price of used Guilds. For whatever reasons, the prices of Silvertone amps are now doing what the price of used Guilds did last year; 'movin on up'...same w/ Gibson amps. The fact is that mid-60s Fender amps are very expensive and folks who want the vintage sound are looking someplace else; Silvertone and Gibson. Semi assembly line stuff applying WW2 manufacturing concepts, reasonably good quality under the least cost / best price concept that is, good or bad, the name of the game.

The 1482s sold last year in the mid-$200s; now routinely $325-$375. The 1484s; have gone from the mid-$400s to the high-$500s. The same price surge applies to non-'tweed', mid-60s Gibson 'crest' amps; those between the 'tweed' and the 'white-face' amps; the elephant-hide tolex, dookey little coat of arms (ya reckon that's really the Gibson family crest?) The prices are going to stay up because of the generic increase in disposable income of boomers and boomers-to-be, the increase in interest in recording amps v. 'playing out' amps, and - except for the boutique market - the supply is not being replenished.

Anyway, if any of you are thinking of taking the plunge ...

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it would help prices to take this discussion thread private.

Dang !!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
In the words of the immortal French amp collector Estebunionet: "Le chat est du sac". As much as anything, it's the home/studio/indie recording phenomenon; don't need 50 average-sounding watts or 14 pre-sets including 'click here for tube'; just need tone which can be had with a single 6V6 operating at 5 watts.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
In the words of the immortal French amp collector Estebunionet: "Le chat est du sac".

ROTFL.gif
ROTFL.gif
ROTFL.gif

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
If I was real musician like Mark, Chris, Walter or any of the others, I'd have to get the sound to the back of the house which requires volume a/k/a power. If it's just a few people; recording, jamming, smokin' (you know, musically), just don't need much power; so much depends on how it's being used.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
If I was real musician like Mark, Chris, Walter or any of the others, I'd have to get the sound to the back of the house which requires volume a/k/a power. If it's just a few people; recording, jamming, smokin' (you know, musically), just don't need much power; so much depends on how it's being used.
and depends upon whether one of those other people is a drummer :)

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
...and depends upon whether one of those other people is a drummer :)
Of course; that much volume can't be overlooked but you know where I'm going with this ... the smaller the setting (and band too), the more the tone itself counts.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
Yep; it's a nice one. It's a minor point but that FS isn't original .. no biggie .. but Coastie's is; it's still covered in the same tolex as the amp cab. FS in auction photo larger and different shape than original - also possibly metal box. Not quite a yellow card ... but a terrific, straight-forward amp.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thank you; hadn't seen the 1484 as a 'combo' - Wow - $1,000 .... criminy....I guess the train already left .... :(

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Silvertone Train's just arrived at destination Newsyland.

Just been advised of clearance through Customs. ( Hee hee; Custom's dogs missed the stash.)

Expect it to arrive on Monday.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Here's hoping ... sent another link to NZ postal girlie - if she can't open, she has to send me USPS name/email addie....email sent. J

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Got a lead on a head only 1484, researching a little I get estimates of output all over the place. Some say 30 watts, some say 50 or 60.

Whatever it is, what I have in mind is sicking it on a single 12" speaker in a relatively compact cab, I'm concerned it's more'n enough to drive a single 12" & probably too much to get it to break up without disturbing the neighbors.

Unit in question is similar if not identical to the head on this one.

36da_12.JPG

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Jeff said:
Got a lead on a head only 1484, researching a little I get estimates of output all over the place. Some say 30 watts, some say 50 or 60.

Hopefully I'm not belaboring the obvious, but output specs depend upon whether you are measuring peak or average (RMS), what load you are driving (8, 4 or 2 ohms) and what distortion you are going to accept.

If I wanted to impress someone I'd quote my amp at 450 watts (peak, 8 ohm load, 5% THD) but if I were going to sell it honestly with my existing cabinets I'd quote something like 200 watts (RMS, 4 ohms, 5% THD).

My guess is that your estimates may all be correct but the people providing them did not include everything you need to know to compare them.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Got a lead on a head only 1484, researching a little I get estimates of output all over the place. Some say 30 watts, some say 50 or 60. Whatever it is, what I have in mind is sticking it on a single 12" speaker in a relatively compact cab, I'm concerned it's more'n enough to drive a single 12" & probably too much to get it to break up without disturbing the neighbors.
A pair of 6L6s in a forty year old amp are good for 40-50 watts depending on, depending on. If you're looking for 'early breakup' - the crunchy, distortion thing - yes, you'll have to turn this amp up farther than a 6V6 amp to get it to 'brown out'.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thank you sir,

Seat available on the 7:00 am flight to Ampegville!!