1963 AMPEG Reverb Rocket Guitar AMP Tube Tremelo - $375

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Seattle vintage tube amp market is Bull Feces.

Could be I'm missing something here but sure looks rough.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/433903784.html

010110010312010406200709272384608c045a85f8cf00bb88.jpg

Coinciding with the arival of the recent bugs,Image function seems to have gone South.

dklsplace

Reaction score
It does look rough. I have a '65 J12 D that I tried to sell last year in that price range & didn't make it close enough to let it go.

quick test of the image function of the same amp Jeff posted

01010101020001040420070927f9713ae928129354ef005b54.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The cleanest copies of these 6-9 months ago were selling in the mid-$500s - been some cooling of interest. Most models pair 6SL7s / pair 6SN7s, 6V6s, 5y3 rect; all still available. A few w/ a 6U10 - a 'triple' triode - three sections; like a 12AX7 (2 sections) but w/ one more - still available as NOS. The pots sound dirty but no big thing to replace.

The blue, checked Ampeg tolex is still sold in the aftermarket. Never had the pleasure but I'm told these a strong tone machines; much like the Guild 98RT - with acknowledged gremlins - that didn't get an eBay offer at $375. IMO seller would have gotten it/better if he'd been willing to let market tell him what it was worth; not the other way around; crap not given re/ what he thinks it worth... :evil:

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I have fond memories of these amps. First electric I ever played was a friend's 50s Les Paul Special I think (really heavy mahogany body, 2 P90s) into his Ampeg RR. Looked just like that one. Sounded ungodly good. Ampegs are good stuff.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Managed to make my way North to demo this amp today. Darn thing is twice the physical size I anticipated. Not exactly a small amp about the same size as my JC 90, even a little deeper. No lightweight either.

Perhaps even a little rougher shape than the pics indicate. Graphics on the control panel mostly unreadable &

Played my T 5 thru it. Several intermittent bugs but in between various cutouts, hums & other issues the thing makes some amazing sounds. Don't think I've ever heard as dramatic a reverb or vibrato. Big fat sound.

While I was plinking on the thing the store keeper (used records & toys) got the owner on the phone. I was tempted & made what I thought was a reasonable offer figuring I'd have to invest at least a couple hundred more to get it right. Nope, the seller was firm, "If you can't get $375 for it, I'm keeping it".

So, he's keeping it, turns out I wasn't the first, several others have passed on it as well.

Up & running 100% it'd be a cool amp, different than anything I've ever played.

Another one, similar, hit Portland's CL while I was out chasing rainbows up North.

Day wasn't a total bust, picked up a Grandaughter on the way home. We'll have her overnight.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/435487181.html

01010001020801030720070929975ab301db29ac47d100df88.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Never had the pleasure but many people think these are the best reverb amps ever made; also built like tanks; a very high build standard. The 2nd CL post at $500 is closer to the mark.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
My favorites of the small Ampegs are the Jet. The reissue J-12T is pretty cool for a low wattage portable amp with reverb and trem, although I think there are better, albeit more expensive choices out there. I really like the original Gemini I, which is 20 watts. Vintage vibe! Although these are not known for their natural overdrive, they are both great jazz, blues, and country amps, which don't have the price tag of a lot of other vintage gear. Rock solid build quality too
http://www.ggjaguar.com/gem1.htm

BTW The vintage Jets come in a gazillion different circuit configs with different model number designations. Hard to tell what you get until you plug in.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
BTW The vintage Jets come in a gazillion different circuit configs with different model number designations. Hard to tell what you get until you plug in

Seems much the same phenomenon reference the Reverb Rockets.
I've seen two or three different configurations. Copy on Portland CL is obviously different (externally :?: ) than the copy in Seattle. Interesting the twin 12 models seem to trade for less, mebbe I just haven't studied the market enough.

Maxed the effects setting on my Trace this morning. Never felt inclined to try it past midway before. :roll: Ain't no vintage, blues howling, tube amp, still some quite entertaining sounds.

No question about it, reverb on Ampeg Reverb Rockets is a totally different animal.

ecbee272.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
jp said:
BTW The vintage Jets come in a gazillion different circuit configs with different model number designations. Hard to tell what you get until you plug in.

Sensational picture of the Gemini at GGJaguar; that model uses a 7199 for reverb as does the Gibson GA19RVT. The Jet may come in mutiple configs but there are only two versions of the RR circuit; doesn't mean the didn't make 2X combos though ..... amazing what shows up; like that Silvertone 1474 in combo config

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
there are only two versions of the RR circuit;

Two's a good number,... yes two is good.

Boils down to one or the other :wink:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Jeff; my bad - open mouth insert foot :oops: there aren't just two RRs out there. According to this site that offers public domain schematics Blue Musethere are four RR models; two with 7591s, one tube rectifier, the other solid state, one w/ 6V6s, and another w/ 7868s, solid state rectifier. The 'reissue' model from the 1990s-early 2000s is tagged RR 2. The 7591s have a higher output rating than do the 6V6s and maybe some other good tone characteristics too; don't know about the 7868 model.