breedlove pro series C25?

dpicker

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any input on this guitar, i was looking at one today and they sure do sound and look good. but i am so new to this i would sure like some advice. How would you compare this to a Guild CV-1. any help would be appreciated.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
'fraid the only thing I know about Breedlove is that Ed Gerhard plays and endorses them, and he is awesome. One of the most precise and expressive players I know. A favorite for a long time now.

zplay

Reaction score
I can't speak to that particular series, but I once owned an SC-25 cut(Sitka over IRW) - deep concert model. Very well-built guitar with incredible woods, comfortable neck and a bass response that's hard to describe, but just immense for the size of the guitar. I was less impressed with the balance, particularly the trebles, which were somewhat thin and grating. I don't know whether/not that is a Breedlove characteristic(this one had the incorporated Bridge Doctor), but I have read similar critiques elsewhere. Ed Gerhard, by the way, uses a thin body jumbo with heavier treble strings.

For my taste, there is no way that I would prefer the Breedlove I had to the CV-1C I presently own. The CV is just louder, better-balanced with fatter, rounder trebles and a big, but tighter base.
- Just my opinion.

kitniyatran

Reaction score
At GC, I've tried a Focus or two, I think a Fusion, maybe a Balance. The first time i tried a cedar top one, it seemed like it needed to "open up", though the second time (I don't know if it was the same or a different one) it was as nice as all of the above,GREAT. All these seem to be based on the SC25 style. However, the Northwest Classic, also a SC25, with Myrtlewood back & sides, is the best sounding, most balanced toned guitar I've tried, short of Madagascar(striped )ebony. Doubt any of that helps, in this case. By the way, a GC custom MMV from Martin comes in third.
None of that inspires me to dream of giving up my wonderful D-25NT, which was a fraction of their prices.

kitniyatran

Reaction score
zplay said:
a bass response that's hard to describe, but just immense for the size of the guitar. I was less impressed with the balance, particularly the trebles, which were somewhat thin and grating. I don't know whether/not that is a Breedlove characteristic

I think that results from combining the "deep concert" body with rosewood B&S. I could be wrong. All the Breeds I've tried have been pretty well balanced, but they don't necessarily sound like other "name brands".

dpicker

Reaction score
well i went in the guitar center with my Guild CV-1C to do an A/B comparison test and walk out without the CV-1C and a new Breedlove C25 Pro Series. i will say the guild is a louder but also bigger guitar. i am not looking for a real loud guitar. i got the feeling the Guild was a great guitar that was built like tank that could take allot of abuse and come out fine. i feel the Breedlove is more of a piece of fine art and won't take the abuse that a guild could handle. i don't plan on taking the guitar out of my house so that isn't an issue. the Breedlove has a very thin top it looks about 1/2 as thick as the guild. When i play the C25 i can feel a slight vibration in my hands. (kind of neat) and you don't have hit the string very hard and you get a mellow tone, especially the base strings. i still think the Guilds are great guitars.they are just a heavier built (made to be played) guitar. also the workmanship on the breed love is Superior (Fit and finish) to the Guild. I am very happy with the new addition to the family. thanks for all the help

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Reads a lot like "Engldo"'s post on the Breedlove forum; I wondered if you might be the same, but the inst5rument list in the signature is different. :?:

dpicker

Reaction score
Re: Breedlove pro series C25?

i am the same person, for some reason i couldn't use my same screen name. i have to up date my instrument list. if i keep selling my pieces i will down to 2.

dpicker

Reaction score
I just sold both of the Guilds on my list (CV1C & D35) and just bought a GAD 30 from bing. Bing is a great guy to buy from. i am 40 north of Tampa in the Brooksville area, what part of Florida are you from. Doug

Mr_LV-19E

Reaction score
dpicker,
I just bought a pro series C25/CR. It'll be hear Wednesday. What do think of yours now that you've had it a month? I had a hard time leaving the store without it when I tested it a few weeks ago, that Cedar/Rosewood combo really did it for me. I hope they're consistancy is good because I bought mine from a guy in Texas.

dpicker

Reaction score
MR LV i took mine back to the store i bought it from and they gave me a refund. the reason i took it back was the electrics on the tone control was not working.since then i went and bought a Taylor 712 and now that one is on Ebay the nut (1-11/16)was to narrow for my thick fingers. the Taylor is a great guitar. i like the breedlove better than any guitar i have owned. so if the Taylor sells on ebay i will be buying the breedlove back from the dealer when it comes back from the factory. i did try several breedloves and i did notice a small difference from one to another, the difference was in the amount of sustain. i am sure you will like your new Breedlove. god luck Doug

Carol

Reaction score
For what it's worth -- and I'm not all that knowledgeable, but...

My nephew has started to see the light and is moving away from the electric guitar world and has decided he wants to find an acoustic electric guitar. He asked me to go with him to the Guitar Center to check out guitars. His budget was under $800... which of course is very limiting in the acoustic world. After playing about 20 guitars -- I have to say one of the Breedloves ended up being the best for the money. I can't remember the model name... but I actually fell a bit in love with it. Granted, it's not a vintage Guild, but for a new guitar, it did seem to have something going for it. It was easy to play and the sound was very uniform and mellow.

That day, I played Taylors, Ovations, Alvarez, Ibanez, Seagulls, and in the price range, the Breedlove won hands down.

I recommended it to my nephew. He's still thinking on it as he wants to make sure he gets the right guitar -- but I think he's leaning for the Breedlove as well.

If I had the money, I would not hesitate to buy a breedlove...