question about 60s Guild humbuckers

danerectal

Reaction score
I recently bought a lot of 5 humbuckers off of ebay. One of them happened to be a 60s Guild. I'm just wondering if there's any way to tell if it's the neck or the bridge position. The wires coming from inside to the solder lugs are red and purple. Any help?

Kap'n

Reaction score
"Neck" and "Bridge" models are a relatively recent phenomenon. Guitars 'back in the day' were made with one kind of pickup, unless it was something like a Telecaster, where the pickups themselves were distinctly different.

The best way to tell how it was originally used is the length of the lead wires.

How's life in Fargo these days? Lived there for a summer a couple of decades ago, or so.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
danerectal said:
I recently bought a lot of 5 humbuckers off of ebay. One of them happened to be a 60s Guild. I'm just wondering if there's any way to tell if it's the neck or the bridge position. The wires coming from inside to the solder lugs are red and purple. Any help?

Kap'n said:
"Neck" and "Bridge" models are a relatively recent phenomenon. Guitars 'back in the day' were made with one kind of pickup, unless it was something like a Telecaster, where the pickups themselves were distinctly different.

The best way to tell how it was originally used is the length of the lead wires.

Hello folks,

Just checking in for a couple of minutes, while on my way through the South-West!

Guild humbucking pickups from the '60s had very distinct 'neck' and 'bridge' pickups. The spacing of the poles was narrower on the 'neck' pickups. Can't give you the exact measurements off the top of my head but maybe somebody with a '60s Starfire can measure the pickup pole spacing of their pickups and post them for you, so you know what you have.

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Kap'n

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
Guild humbucking pickups from the '60s had very distinct 'neck' and 'bridge' pickups.

Really! That makes Guild pretty much unique among manufacturers of the era. I never would have guessed. Thanks!

Horuss

Reaction score
Related question: There are some Guild "frequency spectrum" pickups for sale on ebay right now. Was this Guild's name for all of their '60s humbuckers, or are "frequency spectrum" pickups specific to certain guitars?

Thanks.