saddle dilema on JS-II

Dreamlander

Reaction score
I just got my 1975 JS-II, It is completely original as far as i can tell but i have a little prolem with the saddles. The E strings sits much lower than the A and D strings and the G string saddle has a very small chip in it which causes the G string to sit way to low as well. Both E and D fret out bad, granted i haven't put new strings on and set it up yet, but it seems almost pointless with the saddles being offset like that.
So i am wondering if anyones has any ideas about what can be done it this situation or if there are any saddles i can put on without having to make any modifications. I remember seeing some on ebay(i think) with metal saddles but it looked like they fit into the original bridge. If anyone has ran into this problem let me know what you did to fix it.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dreamlander said:
I just got my 1975 JS-II

FWIW
200%26_09_05_Guild%20014.jpg

To repeat the obvious...
With stock, virtually identical saddles, you can get some height adjustment on one side or the other by adjusting the bridge so it is not parallel to the body. That's the two big screws that are closest to the neck. I've heard of people who get what they want by either shimming the bottom of the saddle, between the saddle and the bridge and/or filing down the notch the string rests in. Players better (or at least more sensitive) than I am have reported that the string angle as it goes over the saddle does make a difference in sustain which suggests that might not be the best option.

I'd consider getting 4 new saddles. I had a saddle break (on my SF I) and the late Brian B. made the replacements. I got lots of change from $20 but he obviously is not in a position to make any more. Although I've never used them New Hope Guitar Traders has been mentioned at other times and other places as a source for parts. Worst case scenario is a local woodworker or luthier could make you something that would work.

And yes, the metal saddles on eBay will not fit. Seems to me that they go on bridges from the '80's.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
danerectal said:
Not quite mint, huh?

I presume your reference is to dreamlander's JS, since I am the original purchaser of mine :)

Is Fargo small enough that you two have met yet? Take pictures, post MP3s and declare it a Guild convention.

Seriously, if the bridge on dreamlander's JS doesn't look like mine ("the harp bridge") then it is not original and none of my advice and comments apply.

Dreamlander

Reaction score
Well [••••] it, I think i am going to sand down the bottom of the A and D string saddles a bit to match the height of E and G. If anyone thinks this is a terrible idea they better reply fast because i am headed to the music store shortly to get some new strings and begin my project.

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
The only thing I can think of would be to put some of that aluminum stuff they use to wrap corks in winebottles in the slot, but that would only be a quick fix until you could get new ones done.

But why I really wanted to write is 'cuz I just watched "The Genesis of the Daleks" the other night!

Dreamlander

Reaction score
Yeah the sanding down thing is not going to work after i took a closer look at the saddles and realized that they actually rest on the inside. I think i am going to try and make my own. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard. I am thinking I am going to use ebony though. Maybe get more sustain and longer life out of them.
Unless someone knows someone who has made a set before and can do a good job. I would proabably rather have a proffessional do it depending on the price.