More S-100 Q's...

Guitarguru

Reaction score
Hi. I recently picked up my old guitars from my dads(I live 6000 miles away), and am planning to do some work to them. In those is my very first guitar, an S-100. It's rough and highly hot-rodded(new speed-pots, pickup and phase switches, SD Jeff Beck at the bridge). I have the original parts. So, for the questions...

1. How can I tell the year of it? The Serial number is 86843. I guessed it to be a '73 or '74.

2. Does anyone make a replacement bridge? It has the roller bridge, and at some point in time, the high E roller broke or went flying and was replaced by a brass nut that was rounded off. Again, it's very hotrodded, so I don't mind a newer direct replacement. I found gold ones, but mine is chrome.

3. Replacement pickguards? Mine is ok, except for being chipped around one screwhole.

4. Original case? This one fits the guitar well, is black vinyl with a white binding outside, and fuzzy gold inside. No Guild insignia's anywhere...does it sound right?

Guitarguru

Reaction score
Some pics...

DSCF0706.jpg

DSCF0708.jpg

DSCF0709.jpg

DSCF0710.jpg

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
welcome guitarguru,

1. the guild book says 1973. my 2cts: you should keep the original parts well
2. the replacement bridge should be available at hans moust, he is a member of this forum and wrote the book.
3. same with the pickguard
4. can't tell, anybody else?

Guitarguru

Reaction score
krysh said:
welcome guitarguru,

1. the guild book says 1973. my 2cts: you should keep the original parts well
2. the replacement bridge should be available at hans moust, he is a member of this forum and wrote the book.
3. same with the pickguard
4. can't tell, anybody else?
Thank you very much! Yes, I always keep my stock parts. I have them all, including the "G" knobs. I'll probably put one of the stock p-ups back in the neck position.

Does Hans have a website?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
It may be a few days before he can reply; he's here in the US on his way to the Guitar show in Texas later this month.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Han's sig gives this as a web site. He is traveling so might not respond immediately. New Hope Guitar also claims to have parts although I've never dealt with them.

FWIW, the case matches my original '71 JS II case. Your case appears to have the same latches in the same positions. More importantly the ends are finished the same with the black covering and that thin white strip. Only place my case says Guild is on a piece of plastic or metal that could have been on your case and gotten knocked off, given the case's condition.

Guitarguru

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Han's sig gives this as a web site. He is traveling so might not respond immediately. New Hope Guitar also claims to have parts although I've never dealt with them.

FWIW, the case matches my original '71 JS II case. Your case appears to have the same latches in the same positions. More importantly the ends are finished the same with the black covering and that thin white strip. Only place my case says Guild is on a piece of plastic or metal that could have been on your case and gotten knocked off, given the case's condition.
Yeah, there's an old Dean Markley sticker on the top side at about 4 o'clock...I peeled it back and theres a hole in the vinyl underneath it, so I figure that's where the "G" was.

danerectal

Reaction score
1. I agree it's probably a 73, My s-90 isn't too far off from your SN.
2. if it's just the saddle you need, I have a spare or two. I also have an extra block, but hans will definately have what you need. There are four types of roller bridge. By the year you have I'd say you have the "second generation" and I've seen pretty much all of them.
3. Goog luck finding a pickguard anywhere but guitarsgallore.
4. Case looks like most I've seen from the period.
For what it's worth, I'd put both original pickups in if they still work. You won't find any nicer...

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Your case looks like it's been working real hard for a long time. Is the poor guy still up to the job? Originality has some appeal, of course, but if you're restoring the S-100 maybe it needs a little better protection. Just a thought.

Welcome aboard, Guitarguru!
Post well. Post often.

Guitarguru

Reaction score
danerectal said:
1. I agree it's probably a 73, My s-90 isn't too far off from your SN.
2. if it's just the saddle you need, I have a spare or two. I also have an extra block, but hans will definately have what you need. There are four types of roller bridge. By the year you have I'd say you have the "second generation" and I've seen pretty much all of them.
3. Goog luck finding a pickguard anywhere but guitarsgallore.
4. Case looks like most I've seen from the period.
For what it's worth, I'd put both original pickups in if they still work. You won't find any nicer...
After looking at it, I think I could get away with just a roller...the threads and block are intact.
Hans has a couple correct pickguards listed.
Interestingly, after reading this, I looked at the pickups closely, and there are dates etched into the back of them...never noticed that! 7/27/73, 7/28/73, and the initial "O" I believe. Cool! 8)

Guitarguru

Reaction score
Guildmark said:
Your case looks like it's been working real hard for a long time. Is the poor guy still up to the job? Originality has some appeal, of course, but if you're restoring the S-100 maybe it needs a little better protection. Just a thought.

Welcome aboard, Guitarguru!
Post well. Post often.
Thanks for the welcome! The case is structurally intact, though the guitar doesn't fit as tightly as I would like. It will barely move from here on out, so it should serve the purpose.