DIY Baking Pan Amp

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Interesting:

bakingPanAmp.jpg

Caption sez:
"I've seen a lot of creative project boxes in my day, but never a baking pan. This is a three-resistor LM3875 gainclone amp housed in a cast iron pan mounted to a thick cutting board. The whole business weighs 26 lbs."

I think maybe they meant transistor, not resistor. As a project? Piece of cake! or maybe easy as pie!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
This reminds me of a buddy who used to do this bizarre solo guitar act. He would have one guitar strapped on and another laying on a table in front of him. He would then put a baking pan on the strings, which extended the PUs magnetic field. Anything he would put in the baking pan would then be amplified. At one point in his performance he would have these little wind-up robots that would trudge across the pan, but it sounded like giant augers drilling solid rock. He would just be up there snickering to himself. :mrgreen:

I think I posted these before, but they're so fun that they deserve another appearance. A local amp builder. http://www.hottieamps.com/id24.html They sound really good too.

Kap'n

Reaction score
Solid state. I can't work on those. Gimmie PTP or other hand-wired tubes.

Not that there's anything wrong with it. I just don't have the knowhow to work on it.