Fatdog's Subway Guitars Berkeley CA...

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
This is a link to a Berkeley CA real (and on line) guitar shop d/b/a Subway Guitars. http://www.fatdawg.com/index.html

Owner a long-time collector - refurbisher - dealer; has all kinds of guitars, Mandos, banjos, and a few Zouquoids thrown in. Funny captions, serious inventory of guitars; everything from fine-looking jazzboxes to Euro 'Dredsticks' and US 'Jizzcasters'.

Under the ELKS Vintage Guitar Collection: http://www.fatdawg.com/elks/ link on the front page, there are, scrolling down, pics of an S200 and a SF Bass; year and condition unknown but the guy is very approachable and informative over the phone. These particular instruments may be gone but the site and presumably the shop is full of interesting stuff.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
SF Bass; year and condition

I'd bet a '66 because of the bridge PU position and the thumb and finger rests that are not only screw holes in the top. Flat bridge. No suck switch. If original can't be later than mid-'67.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
capnjuan said:
SF Bass; year and condition
I'd bet a '66 because of the bridge PU position and the thumb and finger rests that are not only screw holes in the top. Flat bridge. No suck switch. If original can't be later than mid-'67.
Thanks Frono; they didn't give much to go on ...

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks Kurt; did you check his Dano stuff? His collection of D stuff would give your collection of G stuff a run for the money!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
My pleasure Z-man! cj

sausgirl

Reaction score
I am so glad that someone put Fatdog's link here!
I haven't ventured across the bridges to see the place,but anyone who has lived in the S.F. bay area knows this is a dying breed of good guitar/accessories type stores.
Two others are the 5th String in Berkeley, and Amazing Grace in San Anselmo.
Times have been harsh for the little seller ,but these two plus Fatdog's still remain.
Jan

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks Jan; I've talked to 'Dawg a couple of times on the phone; straight shooter; does what he says he does - buys and renovates / refurbs all kinds of guitars; I've been hankering for one of his '60s Harmony Sovereigns now with new pin bridges, straight necks, and new tuners; solid spruce and mahogany guitars; for very good money. Yes; you read between the lines, my HS guitar ... like a guy recylcing bicycles and lawnmowers ... 'cause he loves them. John

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Bump. I missed this post the first time. If I'd seen it I would have posted a reply. Most of you Guilders out there would get a kick out of this guy's site. Especially if you're looking for one of those elusive Zealolectrics.

tjmangum

Reaction score
I visited his shop a year or so ago. Truly a blast from the past. People hanging out strumming away, other people digging through piles of guitars. Most of what I saw then was older, cheaper, funky stuff - not unlike the web site. Nothing jumped out at me the day I was there, but if I were local I'd certainly stop by often to see what turns up. Would love to have good, vintage Silvertone some day.
tj

jcwu

Reaction score
Back when I was at Berkeley, I needed/wanted an amp, so I took a trip to Subway and bought me a silverface Fender Champ. Nice store, a bit crowded, but full of neato goodies.

I was not as much into acoustics back then (this was, what, 14 years ago?) so I didn't look too carefully, but I'd imagine the inventory's changed since then. :)