What's The Word? Thunderbird. What's The Price?..50 Twice

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
eBay auction for a cleanish Thunderbird; text sez "EchoJet" although I don't recall seeing that ... uh ... whatever it is. 2X7591, and closer to stock that the Covington Ky model with its do-over speaker config. This model looks like it has the reverb pan-on-chassis not can-in-bottom. Link to eBay Thunderbird

Edit: took the pic out. J

In auction text, seller goes to some effort to impute mojo to the amp: "We think the amp may have been designed/built by Ampeg, because the pc board looks a lot like a 60's Gemini/Reverb Rocket." The Ampeg connection is normally associated w/ the 98RT and 100J and not necessarily this model. As far as anyone has been able to determine, Guild manufactured these amps although who they might have imitated is certainly open to conjecture. And further: "That, and the 7591 output section and very Ampeg-ish tremolo sound points away from Valco origins." This follows the old rule: "If it sounds like Ampeg tremolo, it must be an Ampeg" - yeah right. And just how did Valco get into consideration?

Sales text mis-ID'd the reverb-out tube as '6AN8'; it's 6BM8 ... or maybe he isn't using Mozilla for his browser. No rectifier tube indicated on pic of tube chart so probably solid state rectifier. Amp features dinette-modern styling; stick-'em-on wood-grain shelf paper / banded sides with banal doctor's office upholstery grillcloth. Subject to remarks by John K or matsickma, this amp probably in the +/- 50 pound range; nice looking speakers. In Portland OR. Despite cosmetics, probably a pretty cool amp.

Take Note: The cabinet is made of 1st generation particle board; not MDO or any of the more recent versions of 'manufactured' wood. Exposed to moisture, the particles soften and the glue binder breaks down. As a result, they are more fragile than same-era amps made with conventional plywood. As if shipping risk weren't already a consideration, this bumps that risk up.

cj

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Portland again, huh? The seller is a larger privately owned business with three locations--one devoted only to acoustics--lotsa Guilds! Never been to the one in the burbs, but the near eastside store is pretty cool. The folks are friendly, honest, and pretty knowledgeable about new gear. Despite the editorialized and flubbed eBay description, they're okay to deal with.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi JP; nice to know the seller is reliable and I don't think I'd not consider this amp just because of the awkward text. cj

gilded

Reaction score
Stand back, boys, I have my 25 dollar bid in!!

Okay, slightly more than that in reserve.....

Meanwhile, it's back to the Salt Mines at the Arlington Geetar show.
Talk to you boys tonight. gilded.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Harry: not a bad looking amp. Good luck! cj

gilded

Reaction score
Thanks, CJ!

Back from the salt mines. You know, there was like one whole Guild amp at the Arlington show, a Thunder 1 RVT.
At least that's all I heard about or saw with 'me own' eyes.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
gilded said:
Thanks, CJ!Back from the salt mines. You know, there was like one whole Guild amp at the Arlington show, a Thunder 1 RVT.
At least that's all I heard about or saw with 'me own' eyes.
Hi Harry: Unless one of our BB Broz hits it big w/ his Guild gear or unless some other BB Bro does a YouTube demo vid of a '60s Guild amp .... The prices of Silvertone 1482s and Gibson GA19s both jumped after demo vids showed up there. The only other way to generate interest in the amps is to falsely assign and circulate some 'significance' to them: "...George kept a Guild T1 RVT amp at his country home for jams w/ Eric ...." I mean, I don't know that he didn't .... :lol: Good show? cj

gilded

Reaction score
Good show, a great show if you count meeting the Forum guys. Met a bunch of 'em.

The Yacht Club was cool, but that's a post for another section of the Forum!

The best thing I heard at the show was Guildmark's 12string. Entrancing sound.
Couldn't have been the player, of course.

HH

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
gilded said:
Good show, a great show if you count meeting the Forum guys. Met a bunch of 'em. The Yacht Club was cool, but that's a post for another section of the Forum! The best thing I heard at the show was Guildmark's 12string. Entrancing sound. Couldn't have been the player, of course. HH
If it was Mark's Dread 312, I know exactly what you mean; amazing thick, meaty tone ... it's the rosewood - him knowin' what he's doing doesn't hurt either. cj

gilded

Reaction score
I don't know that it was a 312. It was coming through a mike as he sang. What I heard was quiet, but only because it was balanced with his voice. It was an elegant and understated sound, very complex. I liked it. Got to get rid of my B-45 12. Or at least learn how to play it......

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
gilded said:
Got to get rid of my B-45 12. Or at least learn how to play it......
Looked at that guitar but no opportunity to get one in my hands. Had an understanding about what a Guild was; wasn't sure what to expect w/ a Gibson.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
gilded said:
I don't know that it was a 312. It was coming through a mike as he sang. What I heard was quiet, but only because it was balanced with his voice. It was an elegant and understated sound, very complex. I liked it. Got to get rid of my B-45 12. Or at least learn how to play it......
You guys are very kind. Thank you.
My dread 12 is a '78 G-312. Ordered it new from Westerly with the optional Barcus-Berry Hot Dots, through a shop in Connecticut. Been my main axe ever since.

Harry,
Here's that B45-12 I was telling you about. It was salvaged from an abandoned storage space, rebuilt by Erv Tibbs of Yorba Linda, CA, and sold on eBay to a guy in New York who already had three of 'em but wanted this one to take on camping trips and stuff. When it arrived, he said it was the best playing one he had.
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/ ... 985f5f.pbw

It was great meeting you!

Kap'n

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
In auction text, seller goes to some effort to impute mojo to the amp: "We think the amp may have been designed/built by Ampeg, because the pc board looks a lot like a 60's Gemini/Reverb Rocket."

I don't know if it's really an attempt to impart mojo. Guild was such a small volume manufacturer of amps, compared to lots of the big names, it's reasonable to assume that it was an OEM arrangement. And the couple of Guild amps I've seen have some Ampeg similarities, though it's obvious they're not regular production line models. Much closer to Ampeg or maybe Traynor than Fender, Gibson, Danelectro or Premier. I'd be willing to bet there was some cross-pollination of employees at some point.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Kap'n said:
capnjuan said:
In auction text, seller goes to some effort to impute mojo to the amp: "We think the amp may have been designed/built by Ampeg, because the pc board looks a lot like a 60's Gemini/Reverb Rocket."
I don't know if it's really an attempt to impart mojo. Guild was such a small volume manufacturer of amps, compared to lots of the big names, it's reasonable to assume that it was an OEM arrangement. And the couple of Guild amps I've seen have some Ampeg similarities, though it's obvious they're not regular production line models. Much closer to Ampeg or maybe Traynor than Fender, Gibson, Danelectro or Premier. I'd be willing to bet there was some cross-pollination of employees at some point.
I understand that the Guild and Ampeg facilities were, at least for some period of time, within eye-sight of each other. Web-stuff suggests that each company hired and fired each other's employees. Earlier this year, Michaels Music finally unloaded a T1 RVT that it had listed 6 times w/ high BINs; the auction text used to finally dump the amp included discussion about how Mike Bloomfield had played a T1 RVT; magically the amp went away. "May have been played by Elvis..."

You might be right Kap'n - who knows.

cj