Guild S-100 Buying Advice / help ID this

atljogger

Reaction score
Hi -
I am still in the market for my first Guild and am currently looking at an S-100 as an upgrade electric. I knew nothing about these guitars until I saw The Shins in concert and noticed the guitarist playing what looked like a Gibson SG with off-center horns. Anywho, I absolutely loved the tone he got from what I later learned was a Guild S-100 and am now in the market for one. Can anyone tell from the pics whether he's playing a vintage or 90's reissue S100?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/atljogger/1678969093/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/atljogger/1615117153/
http://www.avclub.com/content/files/images/shins4.jpg
http://www.kingsarms.co.nz/pictures/jpe ... Shins2.jpg

At this point I'm trying to decide between the vintage and reissue. Are there major tonal differences between the models? I'm looking for a guitar that can do rock (The Clash / various punk) and cleaner tones for americana/rock-a-billy. I understand that the reissues have Seymour Duncan pups vs. original Guilds and the bridge is different. Also, I read there are differences within the reissues themselves? (1994-96 versus late 90's)? I know I want the phaser switch and one with a thin neck but other than that don't have a clue. Looks like I will be doing a sight unseen Ebay purchase so any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
J

Maxer

Reaction score
Glad you posted as I am sorta curious about what separates the 70s stuff from the 90s reissues myself. I don't care so much about the pickups as I do the neck specs. I find the original necks such a dream to play... slender and fast but not super thin like a Ibanez shredder guitar. However, the tone that Shins guy got also has at least a certain amount to do with the amps he was using, right?

It's safe to say that the S-100, in any flavour, is going to handle any rock or punk or rockabilly stuff you throw at it - with aplomb.

danerectal

Reaction score
I'd say the pickups have a huge influence over the tone of the s-100. In fact the covers alone add to their brightness, but of course that only goes so far. The 90s reissues have a meatier neck than the oldies in my opinion. If you can find an early 70s S-100 with original pickups and the 550k/200k pots, you'll have the fastest feeling neck with the best tone in town.

guildzilla

Reaction score
The early 1990's reissues of the S-100 have the Guild HB-1 humbuckers. I currently have a 1993 with the transparent green finish, and it has those pickups. Later S-100 reissues - after 1996 or 1997, I think - have Duncan humbuckers ('59 SH-1 in the neck and JB in bridge, according to old Duncan OEM webpage).

atljogger

Reaction score
Is it fair to say that all of the S100 models between the 1970's and early 1990's are very similar since they use the Guild humbuckers? It sounds like the difference comes in once the bridge and pups were switched out in the mid to late 90's?

Danerectal - you noted previously that the early 70's S-100 neck were looser w/ less string tension and that the later 70's had more tension across the bridge. What exactly does that mean from a playability standpoint? For comparison purposes, if I'm playing a Standard American Tele or Strat, would that be considered looser or tighter.

Thanks for the input,
J

Dreamlander

Reaction score
It pretty much depends on what you want and are willing to pay. I myself have a '98 S-100 that I love, But yes the neck is a bit meatier and it has the seymour duncan pups. I replaced these with some guild pups by fender which i think sound great, Not as good as the 70's hb-1's though.
I personally would rather have an early 70's s-100 than a reissue, but average price of a reissue on ebay is below $800 and they are usually in very good condtion because they aren't very old and they usually have the original case. The 70's s-100's average price is around $900 and usually they won't be in mint condition and hardly ever have the original case. However you can come across some very good deals sometimes. I just saw a '72 s-100 go for $538 this week because one of the pickups wasn't original and a piece of the binding was missing. Someone got a sweet deal on this guitar. I can't believe i didn't buy this guitar, but it is a good thing i didn't, i need to slow down. Since discovering guilds greatness I have bought 4 guilds in the last 4 months.

danerectal

Reaction score
Danerectal - you noted previously that the early 70's S-100 neck were looser w/ less string tension and that the later 70's had more tension across the bridge. What exactly does that mean from a playability standpoint? For comparison purposes, if I'm playing a Standard American Tele or Strat, would that be considered looser or tighter.

For a player, "looser" means it's not as hard to press down and hold chords. Also, I'd say it makes bends smoother and easier to execute and hold. The action on a Fender of any kind will be "tighter" as they have an extra 3/4" in the scale and the strings are anchored directly behind the saddles. With a sharper angle over the saddles, you'll have more sustain, but less give to the strings. With a different set angle for the neck joint on later 70s S-100s, the angle at which the strings bend across the bridge is affected in a similar, but less drastic way. Think about when your neck has too much tension. The strings are tighter because they're pulled back farther, sometimes too far. When the neck comes forward in an adjustment, the strings loosen up and it starts to play better. When you pull a string strait from its source, you don't apply as much force as at an angle. This is why people use pulleys. The best way to describe the difference in tension across the bridge from a Fender standpoint is to compare the Strat to the Jazzmaster. The tailpiece is set farther back from the bridge such that the break angle over the bridge is relieved so you get what I call a "looser" feel.

In fact, on the S-100, even the bridge type seems to make a difference. With the roller saddles on the adjust-o-matics, one seems to have a little less tension as well. I'm not sure if the tapered gotoh saddles make for more tension because of less surface area to distribute said string tension or if it's just in my head. It may also be that there are less joints involved in attaching the saddles to the bridge that increases sustain which lends the illusion of tension. That's getting pretty deep...

It pretty much depends on what you want and are willing to pay. I myself have a '98 S-100 that I love, But yes the neck is a bit meatier and it has the seymour duncan pups. I replaced these with some guild pups by fender which i think sound great, Not as good as the 70's hb-1's though.

I love Josh's reissue as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=016
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=016