Why are there acorns and oak leaves on S-100 carved top?

danerectal

Reaction score
I couldn't even guess, but I was browsing this board and here's what they said.

I have the very touching answer to your question . . . and would like it verified.

The carvings on the Guild S-100 are of the northern red oak AKA the New Jersey State tree. This was a special commemorative guitar to the founder; Alfred Dronge made the year following his death.

While production moved to the Westerly, RI factory, the offices remained in New Jersey, a situation that would prove fatal. While commuting to the factory in his private plane on May 3rd, 1972, Al Dronge ran into heavy weather and died when the plane went down.

http://www.guitarsite.com/database/Guitars/rec/3721/wwwboard/messages/430.shtml

Sounds like a farce since mine is from 1976

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
danerectal said:

Well there may be some truth to the story. The NJ state tree is a Red Oak as of 1950 or so. I could not find an earlier example than 1974 in my quick searches - why do these questions come up when I don't have Hans' book at hand? This suggests the carved tops were introduced in 1974 and available until 1977. Even as a tribute there is no requirement to only offer it for just a limited period of time so the three year availability doesn't support or undercut the story. Best argument against the story, IMO, is the lag between May 1972 and the introduction in 1974 but even that can be explained.

Hideglue? Hans?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
coastie99 said:
5 finishes, plus natural !

What were the 5 finish options ?

JS bass was available in Cherry, Sunburst, Black, Natural and Walnut according to http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/guildJSBass.php. I kind of question the timing info, though, because the JS II I bought new in '71 is walnut finish and that page doesn't list walnut as being available until '73..

I may have seen pictures of the cherry, and have definitely seen pictures of the black, walnut and natural. I've never seen the sunburst and would not be surprised it that was one of those things where the catalog did not reflect actual production.

Although the information is specific to bass, I would think, until something else turns up, that it is reasonably safe to apply it to the S-100 guitar as well.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
danerectal said:

Well there may be some truth to the story. The NJ state tree is a Red Oak as of 1950 or so. I could not find an earlier example than 1974 in my quick searches - why do these questions come up when I don't have Hans' book at hand? This suggests the carved tops were introduced in 1974 and available until 1977. Even as a tribute there is no requirement to only offer it for just a limited period of time so the three year availability doesn't support or undercut the story. Best argument against the story, IMO, is the lag between May 1972 and the introduction in 1974 but even that can be explained.

Hideglue? Hans?

Hi everybody,

At this point I think the whole Al Dronge / NJ State / Red Oak connection was fabricated after the facts, but of course I could be wrong.

Re. the introduction of the 'carved' top on the S-100 and the JS-II Bass:
In general catalogs are a bad source for accurate dating information. Price list are usually a little more accurate, since they are updated on a more regular basis. Before an item would be included in the price list or catalog, the item would be made to be shown at trade shows and to dealers to test the waters so, consequently, the earliest specimen of a particular model usually precede the catalog and/or price list date and that would also be the case with finish color options. Even though the earliest price lists (that I've seen) that mention the carved models are from 1974, the earliest examples I have in my database are from 1972. Those might have been the first try-outs but there are enough of them to warrant the conclusion that they were already in production during 1972.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl