Guild Aviator 85? 86? s285

bastarddarsh

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me anything about the Guild Aviator s-285? I have a black one with a strat shape body, and a pointed headstock. It has Emgs i think they are active.

Dave

-----------------
1986 GUild Aviator s-285
1977 Guild D-25M
1987 9th in 87 D25 SB
Year unknown f-45CE SB acoustic/electric Cutaway

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi bd,

If the guitar body is not a symmetric double cutaway it is not a Aviator. It could be a few other possibilities so it is best to post a picture. I beleive the Aviator came under two different model numbers: S284 for poplar body wood and S285 for maple body wood. The Aviators came in a variety of PUP configurations. I have seen a single bridge HB PUP, dual HB PUP and S,S, HB pup combo. The PUPs also vary between active EMG's and passive Dimirazo and California. My particular model is a ivory colored S, S, HB with EMG's and Kahler trem.

M

guildzilla

Reaction score
Information from the May 1, 1986 Guild price list:

List price without case - $799 w/ California HB/S/S and rosewood fingerboard. Available options and upgrades - ebony board ($60), Kahler trem ($200), EMG pickups HB/S/S ($265), flame maple body ($80), hard case ($150).

All the Aviators that I've seen have a Kahler fulcrum trem (not a flat mount 2300) and an ebony fingerboard.

I like them very much, but Matsickma, Accept2 and Hans (of course) are the real experts on these.

Accept2

Reaction score
Doesnt the S285 have the fancy inlays? I have 4 of the S284s and have found refrences to them as Starlings and also Aviators. Only one of mine has Aviator written on it. It does have a different headstock than the others, but I dont see any reason for a different name. Although it could be a case of a name change as they began marketing such as the Crusader/Bladerunner, or numorus other examples from other makers.....

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I sent a long PM to Hans about this very topic.

He said it would take too long to answer at this time and I would have to wait for "The Book" part II.

guildzilla

Reaction score
FYI on the subject, the two Aviators I've had carried SN's HG100554 and HG100664. Both had Aviator on the headstock and are from 1986, I think.

The one that I still own is HG100664 listed in my signature. I bought it as a project and recently got exceptional deals on a NOS Kahler 2500 - the exact replacement for the original which was semi-FUBAR - and new EMG pickups, an EMG 81 humbucker and pair of active single coils. It has this fabulous finish color that I would describe as electric crimson. Not finished yet, but if I can solder it up myself, I'll have an awesome guitar for about $250.

bastarddarsh

Reaction score
guitar.jpg

Ok this picture is ridiculously small its the only one i have of the guitar. It is black doesnt say aviator, serial number hg100406. It has EMG humbucker/single/single, Kahler Trem, i changed the gotoh tuners(chrome) to black grover. Ebony Fretboard i dont know what type of wood the body is.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi bd,

Yes. Your guitar looks like a black poplar S284 Aviator. I think the maple bodies all had transparent finishes.

M