Getting to the Metric System

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
FeettoMetres_edited.jpg

john_kidder

Reaction score
That's a great cartoon. Wish I'd had it 37 years ago, when Canada converted to metric. I was working on ranches then, and I nearly started a riot in a bar in Kamloops, talking to a bunch of cowboys and ranchers, all of whom thought thAt the whole idea of the metric system was some sort of left-liberal-loony conspiracy (gosh, seems I'ver heard the same reaction to climate change - must be just a coincidence). I kind of egged the discussion on - one does enjoy a good loud bar argument every now and then.

When it slowed down a bit I revealed (lied, actually, but I pretended to reveal) that converting pounds to kilograms and miles to kilometers was just the beginning - once we were used to it, the government was going to go to a 10-hour day and 10-day weeks. The sh*t hit the fan, guys were so pissed off that they were yelling at each other, the beer orders went up, everyone in the bar got involved, and it was just a hell of a good time all around. Almost makes me wish that we could have similar meaningless arguments now.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Kamloops British Columbia: Looks mebbe 1 1/2 steps up from Stanford, Montana.
Kamloops.jpg

Never been there, close a time or two, did a 70 mile canoe loop in Bowron Provincial Park in the mid 70's.

800px-

Spectacular country, a nice spot for a Spring Jam. Good long hike from here.

john_kidder

Reaction score
Jeff said:
nice spot for a Spring Jam

Jeff: my place in Ashcroft is at the bottom of the canyon, just out of the picture on the lower right.
bonapartecanyon.jpg

I have a musical weekend here every September for 30-35 players and singers.
BackPorchSingersandHangers-On.jpg

I'd love to do a northwest Guild gathering in the spring - late May, early June. It's beautiful here, lush and green, not yet too hot. But the travelling - a few hours from the Vancouver airport - probably a five-hour drive for you, might make it impractical.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
john_kidder said:
I'd love to do a northwest Guild gathering in the spring - late May, early June. It's beautiful here, lush and green, not yet too hot. But the travelling - a few hours from the Vancouver airport - probably a five-hour drive for you, might make it impractical.

Maybe we need to plan something like that. Mighty generous of you John, we should put some serious thought and planning into it.

Rent a passenger van or two if needed, arrange for gathering at the airport and shuttle on off. Perhaps spring '09?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
John Kidder wrote: probably a five-hour drive for you, might make it impractical

According to Mapquest it's 6 hrs 21 minutes. Not counting the side trip to Palmer, Ak to retrieve my fly rod.

End at Ashcroft, BC CA Map

Total Est. Time: 6 hours, 21 minutes Total Est. Distance: 338.46 miles