Coffee News

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
From the Lacey, Wa edition of "Coffee News"

If "Fortification" means large fort, how come "Ratification" doesn't mean big rat.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Jeff said:
If "Fortification" means large fort, how come "Ratification" doesn't mean big rat.

Because we users of American English also park in driveways and drive on parkways.

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
fronobulax said:
Jeff said:

Because we users of American English also park in driveways and drive on parkways.

Yeah - and you drive on the pavement (US = road surface) - in the UK we walk on the 'pavement' (UK = sidewalk) and drive on the road :!:

Refreshing to see a new 'funny' other than from Mark - his are like buses - wait for days then 3 turn up together :mrgreen:

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
JerryR said:
Yeah - and you drive on the pavement (US = road surface) - in the UK we walk on the 'pavement' (UK = sidewalk) and drive on the road :!:

Not entirely true Jer.

Just ask CJ, they're coming up to the season of Canadian Seniors driving on the sidewalk as well, or pavement. :wink:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Graham said:
JerryR said:

Not entirely true Jer.

Just ask CJ, they're coming up to the season of Canadian Seniors driving on the sidewalk as well, or pavement. :wink:

Well, the UK joke 'Keep death off the roads - drive on the pavement' is totally wasted on US audience :mrgreen:

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
JerryR said:
Graham said:
JerryR said:

Not entirely true Jer.

Well, the UK is totally wasted. :mrgreen:

I agree! :mrgreen:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Why to they call them apartments, if they're all together?

Why is it you can buy tobacco products at the front of the store, but have to go all the way to the back to buy medication?

Why do they call it a bra and it holds two items, but a "pair" of panties holds one?

West

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Why to they call them apartments, if they're all together?

Why is it you can buy tobacco products at the front of the store, but have to go all the way to the back to buy medication?

Why do they call it a bra and it holds two items, but a "pair" of panties holds one?

West

Apartments: We call them flats (UK 'I'm mad about my flat'. US 'I'm crazy about my apartment'. US 'I'm mad about my flat (tire)'. UK I'm extremely upset about my puncture' (punctured tyre).

Tobacco - well, you smoke first - then you get sick (I'm sure the Surgeon General has told you that) :!:

Panties: Hey - y'all only got one buttock :mrgreen:

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
JerryR said:
Refreshing to see a new 'funny' other than from Mark - his are like buses - wait for days then 3 turn up together :mrgreen:
:D It was a bit of an eruption, wasn't it! Just to explain, I had mentioned one of my favorite cartoons to a friend out here. Having mentioned it, I had to find it! When I found it, I re-read all these other favorites and couldn't help sharing some of them.

The one I was originally looking for .... well I don't think I can share that one here. Co-ed, family forum, you know!

But the cartoonist was B. Kliban. The cartoons are taken from two of his books from 1976 and 1977. "Whack Your Porcupine" and "Never Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head". (The preview at this link shows his cartoon: "The Birth of Advertising".) He also wrote a cartoon book that animal lovers still cringe over, called "Cat". He's been gone for many years now, but his work still makes me howl. Gary Larson is a close second on my list.

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guildmark said:
JerryR said:
:D It was a bit of an eruption, wasn't it! Just to explain, I had mentioned one of my favorite cartoons to a friend out here. Having mentioned it, I had to find it! When I found it, I re-read all these other favorites and couldn't help sharing some of them.

The one I was originally looking for .... well I don't think I can share that one here. Co-ed, family forum, you know!

But the cartoonist was B. Kliban. The cartoons are taken from two of his books from 1976 and 1977. "Whack Your Porcupine" and "Never Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head". (The preview at this link shows his cartoon: "The Birth of Advertising".) He also wrote a cartoon book that animal lovers still cringe over, called "Cat". He's been gone for many years now, but his work still makes me howl. Gary Larson is a close second on my list.

Larsen is definitely one of my favourites - such a dark sense of humor - wonder why I like it so much :twisted:

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Ditto on Gary Larson.

Hysterical, funny off the wall stuff.

I have looked at some of his stuff & made a mental note "Never leave Gary Larson alone with my women & children ".

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Graham said:
Not entirely true Jer. Just ask CJ, they're coming up to the season of Canadian Seniors driving on the sidewalk as well, or pavement. :wink:
Indeed; Les Canuckquois also specialize in the Three-Lane Charlie (may be either right or left); Combines an abrupt, signal-less 3-lane change and a 90 deg turn usually preceeded by the passenger's exclamation: "Honey, this is our turn..." whereupon driver spins the wheel in the intended direction. Since this isn't to be tried at home folks; they come to FL to practice. :evil: :shock: :lol:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Graham said:
And the "eventual turn". Could be either left or right as well. Signal will be on for miles if not days. When the turn does occur it is followed by the Holy Chorus' Amen.

And on a two way highway - well it doesn't matter whether it's drive on the right or drive on the left - they'll be squarely in the middle :mrgreen:

kitniyatran

Reaction score
JerryR said:
Graham said:
JerryR said:

Not entirely true Jer.

Well, the UK joke 'Keep death off the roads - drive on the pavement' is totally wasted on US audience :mrgreen:

Down here, the slogan is, "If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk."! :lol:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
....Yeah, but it's a dry heat.... Article in today's Palm Beach Post says Les Canuckquois are fightin' mad and votin' with their feet ... and RVs ... headin' out to the land of Gas (auto fuel) Stations and snakes and such.... Read it here

The early 90s drop in Canadian tourism on FL's east coast, at least locally, was attributed to residency and access to Canada's health care system; in short, understood to mean spend your time and money out the Country only at the risk of loss of health benefits. About the same time, FL adopted a California style 'Proposition 13' property tax cap with two key provisions; annual property tax increases capped at 3% and 'homesteading'; allowing FL resident owners to avoid tax on the first $50K in appraised value.

Canadians bought thousands of condominiums in Southeast FL which has experience a nearly 100% run-up in the market value of homes between 2000 and 2005; some of which is now being given back in the housing market now. In any event, since Les Canuckquois were not residents, their (second) homes were not protected by the capped annual increase / 'homestead' features so were getting the property tax thing square in the face.

The Canadian Snowbirds have an organization boasting 70,000-odd members and their Prez used to get face time with Jeb Bush; now the new Gov Charles Crist won't give them the time of day. Anyway, article points to increased Canadian interest in the Southest US particularly out in Hatted Frau's neighborhood. There are revisions to FL's property tax laws pending a Constitutional Amendment in January; the choices here are: (1) pay less / get less, and (2) pay more / get the same.... care for a little Mayo on yer crap sandwich?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
excerpt from link

"Part-time Singer Island resident Peter Benedek forked over $12,316 in property taxes last year on his 1,558-square-foot condo. The homesteaded 1,558-square-foot condo next door generated a bill of $5,241."

Geez, what the heck is the market value on a 1558 sq ft condo in the Sunshine state anyway.

I've been suffering from the delusion (I guess) real estate prices are substantially better in Fla than here in Western, Wa. 12K in property tax here equates to a property valuation approaching 7 figures.

Middle daughter just bought a pretty fair place in Orlando Suburb, Lake Mary for considerably less than a millyun. Like 700,000 less. Never thought to ask about her property taxes.

Mebbe not all them Canuck snowboids is poor folks.