Trying to identify Guild cabinet. Help

Reaction score
I'm trying to find some information on this cabinet. Ive searched and searched the internet. If anyone can identify it...what is it worth. This cabinet has 2-15" JBL's in it.

thanks,
tom

DSCN2526.jpg

dklsplace

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Tom. Looks like a Thunderbass cabinet. Value is pretty tough to assign to something like this.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
You certainly came to the right place! The moderator here, capnjuan, is likely to know the answer to your question right off. If not, check the names of the other particpants in this and the tech threads. Someone will know!

Welcome aboard, tomcurrie!

Post well. Post often.

BTW: You don't happen to live in Colorado, do you?

dklsplace

Reaction score
tomcurrie said:
what is the difference between a Thunderbass cab and Quantum bass cab?

Not sure about the cabs. Probably nothing more than years. Difference would be in the heads.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Tom and welcome:
Guildmark said:
....the moderator here, capnjuan, is likely to know the answer to your question right off. If not, check the names of the other particpants in this and the tech threads. Someone will know!
Sheesh Mark, nothin' like a little pressure... :oops: :wink: Agree w/ Don; the Thuderbass heads came in several configs and prices as did the cabs. The Quantum bass head, except for the elusive Big Bird, was the top (end?) of the line Thunderbass heads. So far, the most reliable distinction we've been able to make is that the the Quantum had an additional 6GF7 tube acting as a screen voltage regular and the 4-tube preamp Thunderbass didn't. I can't say with any certainty that there's a corresponding distinction among or between the cabs other than market-driven model names. The clear suggestion is that Guild pushed this cab with the Quantum head.

As for worth, unfortunately and except among members here, Guild electronics don't get much respect. What would govern value is the condition of those 15" speakers; age, cone condition, presence of voice coil rub that kind of thing and, to some degree, the fact that it's a Guild. 2X15" cabs a little on the rare side. What model are the JBLs? There are a couple 12" models used in the $200-$250 range loose; more for the 15"s. Shredders don't care about the Guild logo; only us LTG BBers do. Otherwise, I'm not sure I could give you a good idea.

Are you going to sell the cab or are you just curious?

Best wishes, cj

Reaction score
There are 2 JBL D130 speakers in it. 16 ohm.

I see that these are worth a few bucks on ebay. The pair sold last week for $356.

I bought this cab yesterday at a flea market in Waterford, MI for $80. Not a bad deal.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Congratulations Tom; pleasant surprise to stumble across things of value and interest. What are you going to do with it; play through it, sell it, or part it out?

cj

Reaction score
i'm going to keep it. im a bass player and already have an old ampeg head and cab...i just thought the guild cabinet looked really nice. always a good idea to have another cab around. i hooked it up to my ampeg head and it sounds really nice! i really think the 2-15's sound nicer than 8-10's.

tom

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
There's a lot to like about the Guild bass amps and cabs of the later '60s / early 70s. Several people here are very high on the amps; I have a Thunderbass on my workbench now; early indications are encouraging. It was a 8417 amp to begin with; bonehead former owner stuck 6L6s in it without change screen and bias voltages. Anyway, I fired it up and it sounded pretty good. Welcome, look forward to more pics, posts, whatever.

cj

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi tc,

The cabinet you have is most likely a Quantum X. In it day this cabinet was a pretty efficient design. Check the dimensions. A Quantum X cab should have 3 handles on a long side and dimensions 42" high x 25 3/4 " wide x 15" deep. A Quantum X cab is not just 2-15"s mounted to a baffel board. Rather each 15 is mounted to a baffel with rear scooped "horn" is ported to the front. Guild refered to this cab as a "High Projection" enclosure. If you open up the rack of the cab you will get a better understanding of what I am describing.

Guild made 4 different Quantum cabinets in the time period of your cabinet: 1) Quantum X (2-15 JBL D130Fs), 2) Quantum Bass Deluxe (2-15 JBL D140Fs), 3) Quantum Bass Standard (2-15 Eminence) and 4) Quantum EV (2-15 ElectroVoice SRO15s).

I would say the one you picked up is the most regarded because of the D130's.

If the dimensions of the cab is smaller than my numbers then the cab is a Thunderbass cab (40" high x 27" wide x 11 7/8" deep. This cab is a standard baffel board design. Typically these come with 15" Eminence (some earlier model Oxford), not JBL speakers. The option may have existed but it is not listed in the literature.

Very good find.

M

cosmic erosion

Reaction score
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=311897

i'm about to pick up the guild 2x15 in this thread. anyone help me on the ohms of the cab and explain the cts speakers? they are mentioned in the above posts. also, i have a thunderbass head and matching 1x15. how can i run the two cabs with just the one head? daisychain the cabs? will that be ok? assuming the ohms work out. thanks.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
cosmic erosion said:
...i have a thunderbass head and matching 1x15. how can i run the two cabs with just the one head?
Hi CE: Your amp should have an 'aux' out. If yes, you can feed a 2nd cabinet from the aux jack but each cab would only see 1/2 the power. Don't know about daisy-chaining. What model TBass do you have; 2, 3, or 4-tube preamp? 7591, 8417, or 6L6 ouputs? cj

cosmic erosion

Reaction score
mine has 2 preamp tubes and 6l6's. just finally go it out of the shop for a recap and some minor other work. i love it so much. i was a sunn 0))) amp nut before. but the guild has converted me. sounds amazing with my '73 m75. i hope to have some pics up soon. thanks for the help.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
cosmic erosion said:
mine has 2 preamp tubes and 6l6's.... sounds amazing with my '73 m75...
Hi CE: does it look like this? These pics I believe are of an early TBass that belongs to one of our BBers; tube rectifier shown in pic between the transformers is gone in later versions and the vertical power resistor (red wires to/from) was relocated further back. Could have been 7591s or 6L6s, and two preamp tubes. Note that the preamp tubes are hard-wired to the chassis w/ their sockets directly mounted. In nearly all of the later versions, the tubes sit on phenolic pc boards on standoffs right behind the controls. I have a 4-tube preamp TBass wired for 8417s on my bench; will be changed over to 6L6s.

Do you have / does your man have an electronic schematic for this amp? If yes, email me, I'll send you my email address; you can send it that way. If only in hardcopy, see if somewhere along the line you can get it scanned and sent. Among several BBers, we have a collection of schematics although no copy of this amp. Pics when you're ready. cj

TCthunderbass01.jpg

TCthunderbass03.jpg

TCthunderbass04.jpg

cosmic erosion

Reaction score
cool. i'll get ahold of him. if he doesn't have it, i'll post as many pics up here as possible. thanks for your help.