Global Cooling

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
JerryR said:
:shock: Quick - keep pumping out the CO2 - that's the only thing that'll save us :shock: (Ouch, I hear a Kidder coming :roll: )

JR,
One last shot and I'll shut... 8)

Rather than shoot from the hip, I typically research and personally enjoy studying economics; in depth study usually provides wonderful insight to world politics and the rationale affecting decisions that otherwise seem crazy. And lets face it, why pay a broker when you can make your own stock decisions... Following the money trail usually takes you to the source. Most of us leave that work to others who profit at our expense.

A recent-memory case in point was the media's involvement in the Y2K scare. The IT industry reaped huge rewards, (I was a part of it at the time) and we created a glut of IT certified professional to seek innovative technical means to get us through the pending crisis. The public rushed out to purchase Y2K-proof computers, VCR/DVD machines, Y2K proof TVs, appliances, etc. etc. etc. The investing public rushed to hi-tech stocks. It was easy to turn 40% in the hi-tech market on 1998/1999 and early 2000. Life was good...

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8383 ????

What happened? Bottom line: Y2K was a farce; people got rich (Cisco, Sun, Microsoft, Dell, etc. etc. etc.), then new IT professionals hit the unemployment lines in large numbers as in March/April 2000, the hi-tech stock market fell like a big dog on an ice pond, and many of us (me included) lost bunches of money as we watched our investments disappear into cyber space. The heralded economy was built on a house of cards...

Megabillions were made during the global cooling debacle. Guess who profited? Big oil, of course raked in the lion's share. Leap ahead to the current earth-threatening global warming scenario. Very small case in point, but significant to the subject. NBC shut out the lights during a recent halftime night football game to give credence to their commitment to save the planet. Who owns NBC? Same company that contributes megabucks to the media moguls and politicians who support their agenda...

http://www.gepower.com/businesses/ge_wi ... /index.htm

http://www.eere.energy.gov/greenpower/m ... tml?page=0

CPS now allows us in SC Texas to pay a nonrefundable (one year contract) surcharge added to our existing energy bill for the privilege of receiving a portion of our home-use energy from windpower vanes which now 'beautify' our Texas landscape. Even with plans to build future vanes at two-story levels, they agree that solar and wind power could never provide sufficient energy to satisfy growing populus needs. Last month they announced plans, with taxpayer support, to build two new south Texas nuclear power plants guaranteed to cleanly respond to our energy crisis.

"An intelligent person believes half of what he reads." "A wise person knows which half." Mark Twain

Today's macroeconomics lesson: Unforeseen world events occur quickly with immediate impact on nations, politics and the money trail... Been there; got the T-shirt:

Stock tip: Buy GE... But get out when the getting is right... :roll: :roll: :? Fool me once... Fool me twice?

Now to have some energy-efficient acoustic fun... 8)

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Excellent post Kenny. I too attempt to trade without the help of a broker. At first I suffered dramatic defeats, then you get a bit wiser learning from past mistakes.

I feel like a fool after reading your post as I've been trying for almost 8 years to figure out how I lost my tail in 2000. It just looked so good....the technology and electronic funds I invested in had gained 60% and 40% respectively. Can't miss, right? Then, 6 months later, they were worth about 20% of what they cost me. Until now, I hadn't put Y2k and that devestating drop together.

I love to piddle with my funds, frankly, it's been like taking candy from a baby lately. Keep 'em safe in a fixed rate bond fund, find out when the Fed will lower rates, transfer money the day of their meeting, sell them that afternoon. I just got chastized by my fund administrator for violating the excessive trading policy of the bond fund I hold my money in. I knew it was coming, but impossible to resist. No law broken, they have these rules to maintain a balance in the fund and to prevent "Day Trading" with those funds. My funds are "frozen" for 85 days.

You are so right in your theory about watching the money trail Ken. It's easy to spot who pulls the strings over time. I personally think it's part of a much larger plan. One that you may be familiar with. I used to worry about it, now I just try to stay prepared.

West

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
Hey - you Texans are so untrusting - don't you always believe what the gummint tells you :roll:

Personally in life I like a little adage quoted by a certain Theodore Rooseveldt "Talk softly - and carry a big stick" :mrgreen: