New Member/How I started playing Guilds

BreederCreature

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have been looking for a place to learn more about Guilds, yet somehow have never come across these forums! But now I have and here I am!

So anyway, this is an abridged version of how I began playing Guilds and guitar in general:

While in middle school, my friend started a jazz cover band with the other band kids (I only played trumpet at this point and enjoyed it very little, so I switched to playing the euphonium. Despite it's cool name, it was not much more enjoyable.) Flash-forward a few months later and now my friend now wants to start a traditional rock band.
At this point I had shown interest in learning to play guitar (due to being jealous of my friend’s cool new band) and my mom ended up mentioning it at her place of work. Her boss let me borrow one of his guitars since it was just sitting in his basement. It was originally purchased (I think in the 80s) as a cheap replacement guitar when his expensive guitar was stolen from his apartment. I start taking lessons, and then a few months later stop taking lessons. My mom didn’t see the point in paying for them if I never practiced or even played the guitar. When she came to get the guitar from my room and return it, I was sitting on my floor playing it. A few months later I join my friend’s band as the 2nd rhythm guitarist (not a very demanding position).

That’s it! So it turns out my first guitar was a ’78 Guild S-300D! I played this guitar as my main guitar for 7 years then bought a modified ’79 S-70, which has been my main guy for a year. They’re both great :D

-Adam

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
nice story adam,

welcome aboard from abroad.
here you won't get bored so show us your stringed broad.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Adam and welcome; thanks for sharing - browse, post, enjoy! cj

BreederCreature

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
Default said:
Yep! That's it! The top pic is my S-300D and the second is my S-70:
guilds.jpg

When I bought my S-70, it came with this scratch plate that had a midi hook-up in it. Have any of you seen something like this and/or know how it works? I brought it to a guitar shop and the guy said he's never seen anything like this and wouldn't attempt to install it.
midi.jpg

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
hey adam,

since there are 1 or 2 small holes behind the bridge pickup i would guess there has been a early midipickup installed at some point. the midi plug has only got 9 pins so it will not work with modern systems like the roland GK-2B or GK-3 which use 12.
I have a GK-2b permanentlyinstalled in my musicman silhouette and it works fine. so if you have interest in guitar to midi then buy a new system. those work fine even with bendings and stuff. take a look at
roland: http://www.rolandmusik.de/produkte/cate ... /index.php
or axon: http://audioen.terratec.net/index.php?n ... &page_id=6

BreederCreature

Reaction score
krysh said:
hey adam,

since there are 1 or 2 small holes behind the bridge pickup i would guess there has been a early midipickup installed at some point. the midi plug has only got 9 pins so it will not work with modern systems like the roland GK-2B or GK-3 which use 12.
I have a GK-2b permanentlyinstalled in my musicman silhouette and it works fine. so if you have interest in guitar to midi then buy a new system. those work fine even with bendings and stuff. take a look at
roland: http://www.rolandmusik.de/produkte/cate ... /index.php
or axon: http://audioen.terratec.net/index.php?n ... &page_id=6

Would this do the trick? Would I replace the old midi pickup on the scratch-plate or just keep it as a personal relic? I'm entering new territory for me, so I'm not sure how to go about this haha.

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
BreederCreature said:
Would this do the trick? Would I replace the old midi pickup on the scratch-plate or just keep it as a personal relic? I'm entering new territory for me, so I'm not sure how to go about this haha.

yes adam, this will work fine.
but of course in addition you will need either a guitarsynth like the GR-20 ot a converter like the GI-20 to be able to use other midisynths: http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... arentId=53.

I use the old version of the GI-20 the GI-10 which I bought brand new for only 75 US$ on ebay and use it with my computer and ableton live to feed the softwaresynths. may be I will use this live one day.

BreederCreature

Reaction score
I'm confused as to how this works haha. I'm thinking of looking into the GK-3, so I would connect that to my guitar, then connect that to...the GI-20? Then that connects to my...computer?