strange 1971 s-90, no finish?

Dreamlander

Reaction score
I just recently picked up a 1971 s-90. And it seems like the guitar doesn't have a finish at all. However, i don't see any sanding marks and the headstock logo is completely intact. There is no finish inside the control cavity like there is on Dane's s-90. Is it possible that it came straight out of the factory with out a finish.
I already rubbed a little lemon oil on the top ( :oops: probably a dumb idea, i don't know) which is why is looks a little shinier. I think i am going to get some tung oil to finish the job. You can see on the back that is had been sitting in some serious moisture at some point in time, but the wood doesn't look to be warped or bubbled at all.
I wish i would have taken some pictures before i started working on it.
Picture016.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Maxer

Reaction score
Still a very handsome guitar to these eyes. Bringing it back with some TLC is a good gig to have!

BreederCreature

Reaction score
I think it looks great without the finish haha.

There's a thunderbird on ebay that has a blonde headstock and I was wondering about that too. Did they ever come straight from the factory without a finish or with part of the guitar a different finish than the rest?

Maxer

Reaction score
I agree... I think it's fine as is! I wouldn't do anything but clean it up a bit... I love the natural, unvarnished look of it... it's honest and spartan in a quiet, reassuring way... the wood is fine and the guitar has got mojo up the wazoo as is.

I have a couple of older guitars I wouldn't mind stripping the paint off of, just for that reason... ditch the superficial flash and (hopefully) get down to the nitty gritty.

Dreamlander

Reaction score
Well here are some pics of it after i cleaned it up and put a few coats of tung oil on it.
Dane and I noticed that the mounting screws for the pickups are different size compare to most HB1's. This S-90 actually has one of the screws that is the same size as my other guitars and the rest have smaller diameter threads and smaller head. I wondered how this happened. Did Hb1's have different size holes for the screws at some point or did they specifically drill these holes in the pups a different size because those were the screws they had at the time? Any ideas Hans?

s-90.jpg

s902.jpg

S100deluxe035.jpg

Dreamlander

Reaction score
For right now i am trying to keep it original. If i did change anything the first thing to go would be that clamshell bridge. In my opinion these these really are junk. They limit your adjustment for the action and intonation so much. But i don't really want to drill holes for an adjustomatic roller bridge yet. But if it gives me troubles i won't hesitate, I am all about playability especially on a guitar like this.
I think the pickguard will stay though. :)

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
I believe that's the original finish on that guitar, just dulled after years of use. One thing I would change is that tailpece/bridge. You'll never get correct intonation with that. Better Guild parts should be asy to get on Ebay.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Well done DL; looks terrific! cj

guildzilla

Reaction score
Nice work, Dreamlander. Smart choice, going with tung oil. It really fits well with the mahogany and the styling of the guitar.

danerectal

Reaction score
Better Guild parts should be asy to get on Ebay.

"Should" being the key word. And from my first-hand experience the finish isn't just worn, It's bare wood top to bottom. Even the face of the headstock.

Dreamlander

Reaction score
DrumBob said:
I believe that's the original finish on that guitar, just dulled after years of use. One thing I would change is that tailpece/bridge. You'll never get correct intonation with that. Better Guild parts should be asy to get on Ebay.

Yes I am pretty sure that it was the original finish on the guitar, it was just not like any other finish I have seen on a Guild. It definitely wasn't a nitro finish or anything, it is like they just left it natural. I have thought about putting on a adjust-o-matic roller bridge, but I don't really want to put holes in the guitar if i don't have to. As of right now the intonation is great, if that ever changes i might have to change the bridge. I would like to find a new bridge like this one or at least a cover to put on it. The week i bought this guitar a guy had a bridge like this up on ebay, pulled it off for some reason. I told him I was interested and he told me he was going to list it again. He listed with a bin and someone bought it before i ever saw. :cry:

Dirt123

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
Default said:
... are those through the body bridges? I can't tell... :?

No, the strings are attached at the rear end of the tailpiece.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Right. They're great for us amateur guitar builders - they fix a multitude of problems. The string width is adjustable & they have a wide intonation range. Once it's adjusted, they have a little screw that locks the bridge pieces in place.

D