The return of the Krylons?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
01nov15b.jpg

Poster guilded had a Starfire that had been finished in white krylon. I have to wonder if the person who did the deed was a Cowsills fan :wink:

For the record, the caption identifies the bass as a '67 Starfire and everything visible in the picture, except the finish, is consistent with that designation.

gilded

Reaction score
The giveaway on the Krylon is: same finish color inside the F-hole as the outside of the bass. I spy Krylon!

This bass has the earlier bridge. Interestingly, the treble pickup placement is slightly farther away from the bridge than you typically see on the two pickup models. In fact, that's where they put the pickup on the original single pickup models in '65 and '66 (see p. 93 in Hans' book for verification). My bet is that they either hadn't standardized the pickup position, or this body was already cut for one pickup and was modified.

Having said that, I'm just guessing. I'd love to hear from somebody who knows about Guild assembly procedures in the Sixties. Hans, Hideglue?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good catch. The bridge PU does look like it is a little farther away from the bridge than expected. If the '67 date is correct I would expect that the neck PU is original and the bridge PU was added. Otherwise this would be the first example I've seen of a '67 SF I with the single PU away from the neck, presuming the neck PU was added.