Key of F# Minor 10 scales a day's bringing the blues my way

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Decided to try some scales & patterns in F#minor yesterday, & played the same key at today's lesson.

Sweet freaking key...same simple patterns sound amazingly fresh & different, tonal centers ring out different.

I been takin lessons from Smitty now for ?? (a while, some months anyway) & lately feeling like I'm just about to get it.

Patterns & scales, counting steps from the double dots at the octave, & walking up & down into the chord positions. What a gas, it's interchageable, key to key, all up & down the fretboard.

Still having a bit of trouble with the major patterns, the minor key stuff just keeps getting bigger & longer & I'm better remembering the sweet spots.

Totally jazzed, I am. Starfire plays like silk skivvies.

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Jeff, I really have to give you credit. You should be very proud of all the learning and advancing you've done in recent years.

I've been fumbling around & taking pointers from all my friends that play since I started about 4.5 years ago, but I have no formal training whatsoever. I tried Mel Bay's books, but I have no desire to learn notes.... my goal is to be a decent rhythm player one day that knows more than the handful of chords I pluck around with now.

There's a lesson center down the street from my house, but I'm so rarely home and my schedule's so erratic that I can't imagine fitting consistent lessons in. Truth is, I'm sort of afraid that all my bad habits would make such a disciplined approach pretty frustrating at this point too. I might try it, but I'm so big on instant gratification that I'd probably be a difficult student.

Keep expanding your range, and I'll keep envying your dedication and discipline. Major kudos to you!