Nut on a Guild S-100

atljogger

Reaction score
I recently purchased a '74 Guild S-100c. Virtually everything is original on the guitar but I am thinking the nut was replaced at one point since it is plastic. It also appears to have been trimmed down at one point which increases my suspicion. Can anyone tell me whether the original nuts on the Guild were bone or plastic? Is there a way to tell? If this isn't original, then I am going to replace it with a bone nut for quality reasons.

Thanks

ave del noche

Reaction score
I've seen quite a few S-100s from this period with original plastic nuts.

Dreamlander

Reaction score
Yeah, i am pretty sure they are just plastic. I will know for sure when i take my S-100 Deluxe out of its case in a few hours! :mrgreen:

Maxer

Reaction score
Took a look at my '71 S100 last night. Looks like plain old plastic to me. Might be nice to upgrade that one day but meantime it's still doing what it was intended to do, so I'm chilling.

atljogger

Reaction score
Good to know. I am going ahead and replacing the nut with a bone one, but will make sure to keep the plastic nut in case it is original. As soon as I get this Guild back from local luthier doing minor repairs, I'll post pics.

danerectal

Reaction score
My '73 S-90 and '70 S-100 look to have bone. They have grain to them which leads me to suspect that. My '76 S-100C definitely has a plastic one which doesn't look to be original. Hans must know what they used in the 70s for sure...