Poco live!

drowlins

Reaction score
Tonight the wife and I will be attending the Poco concert in Lawrence Ks. at Liberty Hall. Opening for Poco and then joining them onstage will be Richie Furey in a very rare appearence.
I'll give a full report later.
I saw Poco in their heyday about 38 years ago- they put on an excellent show. :D

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
drowlins said:
Tonight the wife and I will be attending the Poco concert in Lawrence Ks. at Liberty Hall. Opening for Poco and then joining them onstage will be Richie Furey in a very rare appearence.
I'll give a full report later.
I saw Poco in their heyday about 38 years ago- they put on an excellent show. :D

Have a blast Drowlins. Should be an awesome evening... :mrgreen:

drowlins

Reaction score
AAAAHHHH! I'm in my second childhood. :D It was an excellenr show. Liberty Hall is an old opera house built in the 1800's. Later it was converted into a movie theater. It fell into disrepair until it was bought 20 years ago and converted into a theater-concert hall. Table seating and dancefloor downstairs, balcony hanging over the stage. We were in the balcony second row left center. Great seats.
Richie opened with his daughter Jesse Lynch, and launched into some old Buffalo Springfield- "Flying on the ground is wrong", "Do I have to come right out and say it", then went into some early Poco- "Just for me and you" and "C'mon". Then he played a few from his first studio album of non-secular songs in 30 years-"The hearbeat of love". His daughter then sang a song of her own.
There was a lot of banter with the audiance,how happy he was to be on the road again, and gettig an A list of people to play on his album: Steve Stills, Neil Young, Kenny Loggins, Tim Shmidt, Rusty young, Paul Cotton, and others.
Then Poco came out sans Richie and did the hits-"Crazy love", "Bad weather, "Magnolia" "Heart of the night,"Call it love", and a few off of their new album "Running horse". Then Richie came out and they launched into classic Poco- "Kind woman","Do you remember","Pickin' up the pieces",etc, and finished with a standing ovation of "Good feeling to know".
Sorry, no Guilds- Rusty played mandolin, steel and two Taylors an acoustic and an acous/elec. Richie played what looked like a custom Olsen. Paul played his mist green strat.
It was a wonderful evening, and great to relive old memories with a great band.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thank you for the recap, drowlins. Must have been wonderful! Isn't it amazing how much the venue can make a difference in a concert experience?

drowlins

Reaction score
The venue does make the concert. Intamate halls are so much better for the "older players and crowds". Rusty Young even commented on it- he looked out over the audiance of plus 50 , and said "you guys all look like me!" My wife and I have been to several 60's-70's groups concerts, and the small halls make for a nice experiance.
By the way, the concert was sold out, so many other "geezers" were thrilled to revel in their past again.