Cherry Red S-100 Deluxe!

Dreamlander

Reaction score
All can say is WOW! This guitar is in much better shape than i could have hoped for. It has couple dings on the front, a few more on the back with a little rash, but other than that it looks great. Doesn't look like it got a lot of play time, doesn't look like it was out of the case much period. The electronics look brand new and someone did a very impressive wiring job on this guitar. The binding has no cracks which really surprised me. I couldn't ask for anything more than this of a guitar that is 34 years old. This thing really is a dream come true for me! Now i just have to find another that is more beat up so i have one to play live :mrgreen: .

S100deluxe026.jpg

S100deluxe027.jpg

S100deluxe019.jpg

S100deluxe008.jpg

S100deluxe002.jpg

S100deluxe001.jpg

S100deluxe011.jpg

S100deluxe012.jpg

S100deluxe030.jpg

S100deluxe028.jpg

S100deluxe025.jpg

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Now i just have to find another that is more beat up so i have one to play live .

This is one cool machine, really cool, looks to me like it means 100% business.

I sincerely hope you move past the "Protect My Baby" stage & in an adult fashion, pick the crap out of this guitar.

"Made to be Played" she is in spades, verra nice guitar, I want one :!: :mrgreen:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
GAAAAHHHH!!!!

That looks so sweet, I think I might need to take a cold shower! :shock:

How does it sound through the Maverick, BTW?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Congratulations DL; dang museum piece it is, love that avatar too! cj

Maxer

Reaction score
Yeah, man - I'd just play it. Be a shame not to. Such a beautiful guitar. And in such fabulon shape for its age. What a tremendous score.

I would love to see Guild resurrect their electrics... oh, I know, it's a pipe dream. But what a great line.

Dreamlander

Reaction score
Jeff said:
Now i just have to find another that is more beat up so i have one to play live .
I sincerely hope you move past the "Protect My Baby" stage & in an adult fashion, pick the crap out of this guitar.

"Made to be Played" she is in spades, verra nice guitar, I want one :!: :mrgreen:

I do plan to spend plenty of time playing this guitar, especially recording and playing in my own house, but It is hard for me to take to live shows where you never know what can happen. Especially depending on how much Jim Beam I have drank. :wink:

Default said:

At the time not all that great. At higher volumes the amp loses all its attacks and has no balls. The volume pot is quite scratchy still after cleaning it so it might need to be replaced. I already have a pair of electroharmonix 7591 power tubes on the way and a Weber 15A 150B speaker. Hoping that this will bring the amp back to life.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
That is too sweet, dreamlander! It seems so rare nowadays when an eBay purchase surpasses your expectations. Congratulations!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dreamlander said:
Default said:

At the time not all that great. At higher volumes the amp loses all its attacks and has no balls. The volume pot is quite scratchy still after cleaning it so it might need to be replaced. I already have a pair of electroharmonix 7591 power tubes on the way and a Weber 15A 150B speaker. Hoping that this will bring the amp back to life.

Swap out the 12dw7 for a 12ax7 for more drive. If it's a cts 15" speaker, yeah, I'd replace it. I have one in a Hilgen bass amp and it just farts with that speaker.

edit:
Run it through a different cab if you have one. The Hilgen took on a completely different character through a 12. Come to think of it, try running it through the 15 and an extension cab at the same time.

Dreamlander

Reaction score
Swap out the 12dw7 for a 12ax7 for more drive. If it's a cts 15" speaker, yeah, I'd replace it. I have one in a Hilgen bass amp and it just farts with that speaker.

edit:
Run it through a different cab if you have one. The Hilgen took on a completely different character through a 12. Come to think of it, try running it through the 15 and an extension cab at the same time.

It already has 2 12ax7 for preamp tubes, and no i don't have another cab which is part of the reason i want to put a real nice speaker in the maverick so i can use it as a cab for future amp heads such as a blackface bassman. I guess i could run through my blues deluxe eminence speaker to see what it sounds like. But yeah right now it just kinda farts at high volumes.

danerectal

Reaction score
Funny how awesome that camera is. I didn't even notice the "Pat Pend USA" markings on the Grovers in person. Still can't get over the older shielding tape in the control cavity.

matsickma

Reaction score
I think the reference to "older shielding tape" is an observation of the copper tape on the bottom of the routed control area of the guitar. The copper tape on the control side is primarily to have all the POTs and switches at a common ground. The interesting feature I see is that there is a strip of copper tape running up the side of the cutout. It looks like that would short out to the copper tape on the inside of the plastic cover resulting in a pretty good EMI shield.

M

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm trying to figure out what "old" refers to. When did they stop using it?

My '71 JS II Bass has a similar shielding although that means nothing when figuring out when they stopped.

2007ShrineMont%20074.jpg

matsickma

Reaction score
That is a interesting photo. It shows Guild had made pre-cut and stamped copper tape grounding "covers". It looks like they ran short on one of the full ones and installed a "bottom" one to the plastic cover. Also not that up near the pickup selector switch is a piece of tape running up the side of the control cavity. I suspect this origionally ran up and was made to make contact with the cover copper tape shield. Over the years the "tab' must of torn off. I have noticed this thpe of feature on many older Guilds but didn't make the top-to-bottor bonding connection until now. If anyone is having grounding problems with your older Guilds a little rework of the cavity shielding copper tape AND taking effort to ground the top to the bottom of the control cavity is the origional Guiild approach.

That S100 Deluxe is a beauty and is one guitar I would like to own! :D

M

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
matsickma said:
That is a interesting photo. It shows Guild had made pre-cut and stamped copper tape grounding "covers". It looks like they ran short on one of the full ones and installed a "bottom" one to the plastic cover. Also not that up near the pickup selector switch is a piece of tape running up the side of the control cavity.

I've seen other instruments besides mine with the holes in the shielding attached to the control cavity cover. I wondered about the holes. I wonder, though if that was the intended solution. It has to be cheaper and easier logistically to have the same part used in two places than to have to manage two parts. So maybe it was by design rather than due to a shortage. I'd also bet that the same part was used in JS basses and the corresponding S series' of guitars.

Not sure I follow your "tape running up the side". Does the pic below make it easier to explain? I am the original purchaser of this bass and have had the cavity open probably 10 times or less in 35+ years. While it is certainly possible that there was a tab that was dislodged or broken it seems out of character for me to not have noticed when I did it. Perhaps the shielding was more of an RFI type thing that would be effective even if there was no electrical contact between the cover and the cavity or perhaps just attaching the cover made the contact?

I probably don't have any idea what I'm talking about now although there was a time when I could explain the difference between Maxwell's Equations and Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

2007ShrineMont%20075.jpg

Dreamlander

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
danerectal said:
Still can't get over the older shielding tape in the control cavity.

Hello danerectal,

Not sure what you mean with that!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

He is talking about how the shielding tape on the bottom of the control cavity is cut to size of the previous control cavity size -'72? This guitar has the larger control cavity.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Dreamlander,

On your S100 Deluxe beauty their is a section of copper tape down by the jack that runs up the side of the cavity and then flos over in the area the where the cover is mounted. I assumed that was an intentional shorting strap to tie both sides together. EMI shielding usually requires survaces to be grounded together to be most effective.

In frono's image I thought I saw a similar section of copper tap comming up the side of the cavity near the pickup selector switch. Am I seeing things?

M