Japanese country-western with steel

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
:shock:

Geez Darryl, kind of hit me in a tender spot. Reminds me of listening to local bands playing "House of the Rising Sun", played repeatedly in clubs like this one, in a little village, just outside Camp Casey, 7th Division HQ, ROK. About 20 km south of the DMZ. Never imagined the place would have so many hits on the internet

Queen Club & "The Strip" in Tongduchon (Dongduchon) South Korea, I gather from the Pics & articles the place hasn't change much in 40 + years. Ceptin perhaps a couple articles I read about Russian hookers. Weren't any Russian wimmen in the ville I ever saw, pretty sure I would have heard about it.

Queen_Club_in_Tongduchon_South_Korea.jpg
rus_prostitute.jpg

Artillery school at Ft Sill, Ok & OFF TO KOREA. NCO that picked me up upon arrival in country asked me if I could type, just so happend I had a semester, of High School typing, (today's keyboarding). They gave me a typing test & I passed, approx 25 wpm with only 5 or 6 errors. My military specialty was changed on the spot.

Conscript Army it was for the most part, Ration cards; trafficking in beer, Jergens hand lotion & toilet paper on the black market. I heard rumours Happy Smoke was going for roughly $3.00 lb at the time. Spent a good deal of my time in country preparing Article 15 court martials for fellas not quite bright enough to stay out of trouble. Miracle I never had to prep one for myself.

Twas a time !! Cold desolate SOB of a place in the Winter. Was before digital photography or I'd show you the pics of my adventures as SP5 Jeff: HQ Company, 1st Battallion, 31st Artillery, Honest John Rockets & two batteries of 105 Howitzers.

Stole this pick:

ph46.jpg

Regular ROK soldiers are, or were, some of the toughest individuals on the planet.

Oh yeah, interesting Japanese country band, steel guitar & all.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of listening to local bands playing "House of the Rising Sun",
It reminds me of a Japanese band singing "Roaring Down the Rebar" (Rolling Down the River).

The 7th gets sent to a lot of key places--Attu, the bulge, etc. A friend of mine who was KIA in Nam was with the 7th.

My uncle was a Korean War disabled vet. He served aboard the Missouri. A few years ago, I got to see the Missouri at Pearl.

A friend of mine went over there about ten years ago, got married, etc.
(Dongduchon)
They can get rid of that with anti-biotics, can't they?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
It reminds me of a Japanese band singing "Roaring Down the Rebar" (Rolling Down the River).

Exactry !!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Reminds me of every other bar in Olongapo City, Subic Bay, The Phillipines. We called "Smoke On De Water" the Filipino national anthem because it was done by almost every band in every bar in 'Po City, 1973-74. Drinking San Miguels and pitchers of Mojo was also standard fare. When you left the Navy base, you had to cross over "$hit River" to get into town (very appropriate nickname for the Olongapo River) :D