Guild 6L6 Thunderbass Head on de Bay

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Auction link for fairly clean Tbass head; 50 watts nominal, 2X6L6. 'Normal' channel for guitar and a Bass channel. Includes Master volume switch to allow preamp to run at higher volume setting: Tbass auction link

1670948754315.png

Good photos but no pic of underside of chassis. 3X12AX7 and 17247 driver; solid state rectifier, tolex well-adhered and backpanel included. Needs new power cord; cap condition unknown and no discussion in auction text. Attention drawn to large resistor mounted vertically n/ back of chassis. Shown in very early models in that location, then not, then back again ... that resistor will get hot; I guess they never got happy about where to put it.

Pic below is of a copy sold w/in the last 90 days for +/-$350; seller had good sense to get our Dave to consult on photoshot ...only kidding ... but he did get some help. This same amp went around several times until seller did adver-grade pics w/ the coppery sheen thingie; before never better than high $100s ... and they say it's sheet metal that sells cars...

1670948767957.png

Last edited by a moderator:

megadan

Reaction score
I was just gonna come and post that if no one else had :D

Great looking amp, it still amazes me that the Guild's go this cheap, and similear power/feature Traynors, Fenders, and Sunn's go for two or three times as much! (And I bet the Guild sounds better than some of 'em :D)

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Dan; agree with you; sort of a 'stealth' amp; moderate cost, well-built, good sound. This amp sold well too meaning there are quite a few of them around at reasonable prices. I have one on my bench waiting for me to refurbish the power supply and convert it from 8417s to 6L6s; simple enough, mostly a resistor in the bias and another in the power. Long time no post?

cj

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi CE; it's gonna finish $375 - $425; even the 'copper' one didn't have the back cover plate and it's a 6L6 model - said the seller - bypassing the need to scrounge around for 8417s. If it makes any difference, I'm not chasing it. cj

megadan

Reaction score
All is not lost, I know the guy who won the auction, I was the one who recommended Guild to him!

He's going to be running it through a 2x15 cab, I think it's gonna sound killer.

I gave him the URL of the forum here, so I'll make sure he checks in with you guys!

I always remember to check back here now and then, cj ;) My Quantum is still running strong!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Dan; it went for less than I thought it would. Just going by the pics, looks pretty good. If you or he need a schematic, email/pm me, yours for the asking. See you when you get back! cj

Reaction score
Guild Total
I’ve just got one. Looks rough but works. Mine has 6 tubes uses 6l6. Can’t find a 6 tube schematic. 00134D2E-B865-4FFD-A319-A0328D56450F.jpegFB2AFF78-D395-4C7A-BE35-2E7A9C2F8D23.jpeg