Starfire II Bass On the Way!

Jahn

Reaction score
Something struck me today, the word "Trifecta." Having a red Starfire 12 and 6 string, I was just jonesin' for a 4 stringer too! Didn't hurt that I won an ebay auction for a bass amp "by mistake" - had no idea it would go for so low, must be my subconscious at work. Anyhow, it's a 90's SFII Bass Reissue, and in pristine condition (top upper bass bout looks a little wavy but he said it was the flash camera on lacquer doing that, we'll see), shipping out as we speak, should be here next week! Unlike the SFII Special, I indeed have pics of this one right now, provided by the seller! I wonder how many of these reissues were made, they look like a lot of work...

DSC003661.jpg

DSC003651.jpg

DSC003631.jpg

DSC003621.jpg

danerectal

Reaction score
Funny how those "mistakes" happen. I just "accidentally" bought a 70s Guild case for $83.76. Not my worst "mistake" by a long shot. Once, I threw in a test bid on an S-100c. It's now one of the most cosmetically beautiful guitars I own. Look at how you've capitalized...

Jahn

Reaction score
Haha yep, got an Eden bass amp that usually goes for $520, but I just tossed a $200 bid out there and bingo. Guess no one wanted to have a 1X12 combo lugged over, even though the S&H was a reasonable $50. I figure less than half retail is fine in my book, and best of all it has a headphone out so I can finally play all my electrics in places not frequented by toilets and bathtubs at night!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well it is a reissue :wink: but the Trifecta is pretty cool.

Obviously we need a picture of the siblings together.

Congratulations.

Jahn

Reaction score
Correctomundo, and it looks like the reissue has a few differences too (other than being intro'd with Slash on the top of the NAMM page-)

http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/W ... itars.html

And I emphasized a little word in bold face. Gaffe? Eek! Looks like this one is still made in Westerly tho!

Starfire Bass II

The Starfire Bass II is a modern version of a '60s classic. It has a double cutaway/thinline semi-hollow body bound on the top and back with a laminated mahogany top, back, and sides. Features an ultra-slim mahogany neck with a 30 3/4" scale length, a rosewood fretboard with dot inlays and no binding. Also includes original style machine heads, Chesterfield headstock inlay, new style trussrod cover, two Guild humbucking bass pickups, two volume, two-tone knobs, master volume control, three-way toggle switch with chrome tip, and and a redesigned old style bridge and tailpiece.

Lightweight and versatile, the Fender Starfire Bass II was favored by Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, and Lovin' Spoonful. In this updated edition, the upgraded pickups have more full range than the original and the newly designed bridge produces better tone and intonation. The overall bass sound is big, warm, and woody. Its slightly shorter 30 3/4" scale combined with the ultra slim neck makes the Starfire Bass II ultra-comfortable to play.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow Jahn,
You're building up quite the herd. Congratulations on the SF bass. It's still a beauty, even with the F----- word. :)

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Jahn said:
Features an ultra-slim mahogany neck with a 30 3/4" scale length, a rosewood fretboard with dot inlays and no binding.

the upgraded pickups have more full range than the original and the newly designed bridge produces better tone and intonation.

When you have in hand I would be very interested in two points. First the usual scale length for a vintage SF is given as 30 1/2". Is there really a 1/4 inch difference or is it just sloppiness in measurement. If the reissue is "longer" can anyone actually tell the difference? For the record the best measurement is from the nut to the 12th fret and then double. Otherwise you get a different answer based upon the way your bridge is adjusted.

Second, how do the new improved humbuckers compare to the originals?

And I note the irony that I bought my first Guild because it wasn't a Fender.

Jahn

Reaction score
Will do, when the bass comes (got a tracking number, it'll be here next monday!) I'll check the scale length. Dunno how the original PUs sounded, but these were made by Seymour Duncan I believe? I would probably keep them vs. Dark Stars, because the DS are single coil. Although reverse wound and so would hum cancel if both were on, I'd rather keep the stock 'buckers and have all 3 choices of neck, bridge and both without hum in any position (my house has DIRTY power).

Edit- just checked the 2008 price guide. Maybe it's because of the whole dark star thing, but the reissue jumped to be worth almost as much as the originals, go figure. Heck, less wear plus good resale = less worry!

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Jahn said:
Will do, when the bass comes (got a tracking number, it'll be here next monday!)

Looking forward to it, on your behalf. Maybe you need to figure out how to multitrack your self so you can play the Trifecta.

I'd describe the original Guild humbuckers as "muddy" or "flat" at least on my JS as compared to my SF. Admittedly that could be the player, or flat vs. round or just 30 year old strings, so it would be very interesting to know if the reissue humbucker has any character.

Personally I've never had any hum issues with the Bi-sonic in the SF but that could just be the environment.

Jahn

Reaction score
UPS actually called me today to make sure I'd be around to sign for it tomorrow. Craziness. Oh man!

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Jahn said:
UPS actually called me today to make sure I'd be around to sign for it tomorrow. Craziness. Oh man!

You can wait. It won't be that long now.

BTW you don't have to check the scale length unless you want to. I dug into and found product literature that claims 30 3/4 and well as 30 1/2 as scale lengths for the original, so whatever the measurement is, I would expect the reissue to be the same as the original.

Jahn

Reaction score
no problem at all, i'll whip out ye olde tape measure for such this occasion. after all, minutiae feed the forumites as we all know! :D

Jahn

Reaction score
Anyhow, on with the pics!

Who was the first owner? BUDDY HOLLY!

SF.jpg

OK so not really. But have you ever seen so many latches on a case before? Man, Guild doesn't skimp! Ah here we go...

SFTr.jpg

Man this thing is pristine, honestly. And I'm happy to finally have a Westerly representative in the house! As seen on the label...

Label.jpg

So what does the "TPR" stand for in "SF2, TPR, Mahogny" I wonder.

Oh, there is one little mod, but it brings forth such devastating Mojo, it must stay in place forever...

SFTri3.jpg

So there you go, the Starfire Trilogy is complete!

SFTri.jpg

Jahn

Reaction score
Thanks! and I remeasured the bass, edited the scale length post pic in the previous page! Whew!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I think that lineup makes Jahn 'King Crimson'... yowee!