Superbird schematics

Reaction score
Hello all:

I read the story here on another post about the history of the Superbirds I and II....interesting.

I have a plain Superbird (the smaller one) in my attic. It's been there for about 10 years. It worked (with some minor issues) last time I used it long ago. I want to take it down and use it again, but before I power it up I would like to replace the caps, change to a grounded cord, clean it up, etc....

Does anyone have a schematic and/or layout diagram for this amp?

It's a 2 piece chassis with the pre-amp in the head and power amp in the lower cabinet, joined by a troublesome multi-pin connector.

Any idea of value when in working order with pretty good cosmetics?

Thanks,
Steve

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi vtsteve and welcome: I wish I had a schematic; we have another member who might but don't hold your breath. You have a rare amp however it's value is driven by it's cosmetic and electronic condition; got pics? Some recent chatter here re/ schematics and Guild amps.

http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... 594#p60594

What output tubes does it have; 8417s, 6L6s, EL34s, 6550s? If you are going to rehab it and you have confidence that what's in there is supposed to be in there, you can't go wrong by substituting identical value pieces and parts. You will not find several of the can or multi-section can caps on the market; intervention necessary and, by reading other post, you'll see that at least I can't tell you what the bias point is; with luck, maybe someone else can. Good luck w/ your project. cj

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi vt_Steve,

Great to hear you have a Superbird! Not many around. Mine came with the 12 inch JBL's. What does yours have? Tubes were 8417's. I know what you mean about the connector. A bad connection resulted in one of the JBL getting blown! :x

I only can get the clean channel working. My effects channel (reverb, trem, FUZZ) is dead and I haven't had time to work through it. The dam circuit cards make this amp and its Thunderbird sister difficult to work with.

As to value..that is hard to say. The high shipping cost detracts from an auction price. I paid a over $400 plus $100+ shipping. (I can't remember the final cost.) I thought is was a good deal because it included the JBL's.I also picked up a NOS cover on ebay a while back. Does yours have the covers?

How did the built in Fuzz tone sound on your Superbird?

There is a schematic for the Superbird preamp section floating around. It is applicable to the 2nd style Thunderbird, Superbird I and Superbird II. I thought capn had it. Guess not. I had a poor copy a while back; i'll track it down.

I never came across the power amp section for these amps.

M

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
matsickma said:
There is a schematic for the Superbird preamp section floating around. It is applicable to the 2nd style Thunderbird, Superbird I and Superbird II. I thought capn had it. Guess not. I had a poor copy a while back; i'll track it down. I never came across the power amp section for these amps. M
No got; DKL maybe ... just the 8417 / 6GF7 Quantum... :(

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies....

I'm pretty sure mine has the 8417's (I haven't dug the amp out yet). I bought a set of these in the Groove Tube variety back in the '80s and they should still be in there. I hear these are hard tubes to get nowadays....

The speakers are 12" - I don't know what make.

I don't have a cover for it.

I remember the FUZZ sounded like cr@p, very thin and tinny sounding - almost humorous. I used an external stomp for crunch.

If I get some pictures, I'll post.

Thanks,
Steve

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
vt_steve said:
I'm pretty sure mine has the 8417's (I haven't dug the amp out yet). Gently wipe them off with paper towels and post the ID #s. I hear these are hard tubes to get nowadays.... hard to get at bargain prices; they are out there but they are expensive. The speakers are 12" - I don't know what make. The speakers will have a mfr's code on either/both the back rim or magnet; post 'em too
Steve
Slide the amp out of the cabinet and take straight down shots of the chassis; top and bottom; look forward to the pics! cj

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Love those Jensens! About the normal amount of scorching; nice 'Inspection' tag putting the dob beyond question - pretty cool rig! cj