Just an idea...list of audio samples...?

viento

Reaction score
Hello,
I stumbled over the http://www.thepodium.com/t-soundsamples.aspx
It´s only mp3 but still a good information.

For all of us who don´t have the possibility of stepping into a guitar shop nearby
and test a row of different makes
such a list would be some help on the search for the right guitar (=Guild)

What do you think about that?

( I do hope I didn´t overlook such examples here in the forum somewhere... ;-) )

viento

bdeclee

Reaction score
Viento,
I can't address the issue of Guild audio clips exactly, but I have to exclaim over the site you referenced.

I would love to have just the music that's being played. The tunes are gorgeous. Someone took extreme care, time, and trouble to assemble all those clips from all those guitars -- and to me, it seems like a LOT of guitars. They all sound stunning, even playing thru my built-in MacBook speakers. Later I"ll hook up to real speakers and listen again more carefully.

Thanks for the reference. I'm going to poke around on that site some more today. Snow day for me and my son! (One of the advantages of working at the school he attends.) A windfall of time.

Cheers,
Barbara

viento

Reaction score
Barbara,
you can easily store all those sound files on your harddisk (or in some folder) as they all are quicktime-files
- at least that´s what I can see here on my mac :wink:
Thus you may repeat hearing them like I did.
It really is interesting to hear how e.g. an Olson sounds...I never had
an opportunity to lay my hands on one in a store - I even don´t know whether
we´ve got one here in Germany :(

have a nice day!

viento

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Funny you put that up there Viento, just for kicks I did a sample thing a few months ago to put some of the big boys up agains the others in a listening demo from The Podium.

Worked the samples through, had my wife rename them for me and mix them up and whittled things down.

Overall winner for me was a Martin 00-15 I believe. Olson went out in the first round. They didn't have any Guilds up at the time.

Killed an evening for me anyway. :shock:

The guy that plays them, yes one guy that works at The Podium plays them all, wrote the music as well. frankly if I could play like him, I could make any guitar sound good.

Still it was fun. Ahh the things that amuse you when you no longer imbibe. :mrgreen:

viento

Reaction score
Graham,
I didn´t intend to use the list as a quiz ;-) like " guess what guitar is that..."
I just would like to compare 2 guitars at a time e.g the F412 with the F512.
Even with the "not-so-hifi" mp3 technique this should work, I guess.

Give it an ear and you sure can tell an amount of difference between
those two:
Guild F-512 (dec. issue of Acoustic Guitar) http://acousticguitar.com/media_files/audio/180/180-7843-1.mp3
and Martin J12-15 (Maury´s example) http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/dietz1/HOYER/Videos/?action=view&current=J12-15.flv

Of course this can´t be a substitute for playing and hearing a guitar in reality :lol:

Have a nice weekend + keep playing!

viento :D