PDA

View Full Version : Those Hideous Madeira Guitars

Music Gear Power Search

12-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Anyone remember the Madeira guitars imported by Guild in the late 70's and early 80's? There was a full line of acoustic based on USA-made Guild designs, and a few electrics. They all had one thing in common though: they sucked. We sold a lot of them to people unable to afford a Guild. The guitars were Korean-made, long before Korea got their act together as guitar makers.

The really low-end acoustic was the A-1, and these were the worst pieces of sheet Guild ever sold. Most of them came back with necks warped beyond belief, necks separating from the body, bridges pulled up, fret issues, pickguards fallen off, etc. We used to take those returned A-1s and throw them in the dumpster. One day, one of the warehouse guys and I smashed three of four of them a la Pete Townshend. Lots of fun!

The electrics were equally hideous from a quality standpoint. One of them looked like a two pickup Les Paul Special.

I always asked Neil to drop the Madeiras, and they finally did, but not until after I left the company. The one smart thing they did was to leave the Guild name off them.

GardMan
12-13-2007, 08:29 PM
They're pretty common on eBay... a quick searched just pulled 4 guitars (3 acoustic/1 elctric) and a mandolin... I've occasionally seen them passed as "Guilds" on eBay, w/o mention of Madeira...

BluesDan
12-13-2007, 08:51 PM
We used to take those returned A-1s and throw them in the dumpster.

Wish I had known that when I was a teenager, there certainly would have been a road trip involving friends, beer, and "dumpster diving".........back then ANY guitar was a good guitar!! :wink:

dklsplace
12-13-2007, 09:24 PM
I have an A-9 that came cheaply enough & it's a very usable student guitar. Much better than the department store crap that sells this time of year. It's also the only one I've ever seen with part of the Chesterfield logo.

Sunrider
12-11-2010, 01:37 AM
I have 3 of them: 2 A 30 R acoustics, and an electric EG-330, and they play fine. I absolutely *hate* taking my JF 30-12 our of the house, so I don't cry too much if something happens to the Madeira. Can't beat a 70's Rosewood guitar for $100 US

frettedstrings
12-11-2010, 02:15 AM
Madeira Guitars can still be found quite readily on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-String-Acoustic-Guitar-Guild-Madeira-A-12-/260703888737?pt=Guitar&hash=item3cb329a561

fronobulax
12-11-2010, 04:25 PM
I have 3 of them: 2 A 30 R acoustics, and an electric EG-330, and they play fine. I absolutely *hate* taking my JF 30-12 our of the house, so I don't cry too much if something happens to the Madeira. Can't beat a 70's Rosewood guitar for $100 US
Sunrider - welcome to LTG.

Everyone else - note that this thread was started in 2007 :lol:

The Guilds of Grot
12-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Well when I missed the date but saw the poster was DrumBob I thought, oh boy, here we go again!

(Necro threads, always amusing!)

coastie99
12-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Well when I missed the date but saw the poster was DrumBob I thought, oh boy, here we go again!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Same here !! I even got onto the feds (mods.) with a question. And heads-upped Graham, Bob's old mate. :oops: :oops:

punkmonsta
10-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Anyone remember the Madeira guitars imported by Guild in the late 70's and early 80's? There was a full line of acoustic based on USA-made Guild designs, and a few electrics. They all had one thing in common though: they sucked. We sold a lot of them to people unable to afford a Guild. The guitars were Korean-made, long before Korea got their act together as guitar makers.

The really low-end acoustic was the A-1, and these were the worst pieces of sheet Guild ever sold. Most of them came back with necks warped beyond belief, necks separating from the body, bridges pulled up, fret issues, pickguards fallen off, etc. We used to take those returned A-1s and throw them in the dumpster. One day, one of the warehouse guys and I smashed three of four of them a la Pete Townshend. Lots of fun!

The electrics were equally hideous from a quality standpoint. One of them looked like a two pickup Les Paul Special.

I always asked Neil to drop the Madeiras, and they finally did, but not until after I left the company. The one smart thing they did was to leave the Guild name off them.

In reply to Drumbob

"The Korean" ones yes your right,,,but if you had done your homework on "Guild and madeira" you would have found out that
the japanese builders of these Madeira guitars were very strictly held to and supplied with the EXACT same materials and gear as the Guild was up until 1973,,,, then in 1974 the production was changed to Korea.
The original madeira guitars were the exact same as the Guild,only built in japan and not New Jersey,and with a diff name on the headstock,,this was to compete in the cheaper guitar market.
I personally have a double cut through solid ash body Madeira with maple glued in neck with the original humbuckers,and i,ll tell you 1400 usa dollars would not get me as good a new guitar in todays market, The action is absolutely 2nd to None, and its sound is unbelievable, and it is 39 years old!!!!
I will never ever get rid of it. a Gibson les Paul Classic doesnt even come close to the feel or sound of it.

10-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Drumbob has long since shuffled off this mortal coil, forumwise.

You'd need a Ouija board, not a post. Lol

fronobulax
10-28-2011, 04:50 PM
In reply to Drumbob

Welcome even if this is a discussion that started in 2007 and drumbob has long ceased to participate here.

I should note, however, that drumbob actually worked for Guild in the 1970's and it may very well be that he was speaking from his personal experience, which occurred after the shift from Japan to Korea, and not trying to give a true and accurate history.

Madeira history is not well known around here so please stick around and help tell what you know.

adorshki
10-28-2011, 07:44 PM
I should note, however, that drumbob actually worked for Guild in the 1970's and it may very well be that he was speaking from his personal experience, which occurred after the shift from Japan to Korea, and not trying to give a true and accurate history.
Madeira history is not well known around here so please stick around and help tell what you know.
+1 and that note about drumbob's background is educational in itself!

coastie99
10-28-2011, 08:06 PM
+1 and that note about drumbob's background is educational in itself!

IF in fact Drumboob's claim was genuine. Was it ever corroborated ? My recollection is that he became rather squirrelly when pressed for info.

TonyT
10-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Ethnic slurs are never appropriate.

[implied smilie]

dreadnut
10-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Coastie: I believe that was "Shirley," not "squirrelly." :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

adorshki
10-28-2011, 08:13 PM
ethnic slurs are never appropriate.
[implied smilie]
Are you sayin' somethin' about Kurt's post was unethnical? :lol:

10-28-2011, 10:29 PM
[implied smilie]

And how many Ethnics does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

adorshki
10-28-2011, 11:01 PM
[implied smilie]
And how many Ethnics does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Trick question. Ethnicia lacks the hydro-electric capacity to support light bulbs.

coastie99
10-29-2011, 06:26 AM
Coastie: I believe that was "Shirley," not "squirrelly." :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

dreadnut
10-29-2011, 08:32 PM
And how many ethnics does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Just two, but they have to be really small ethnics :lol: :lol: :lol:

punkmonsta
10-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Well too be honest b4 the internet came along,,the only thing,"back then"(i,ve had the Madeira for 20 yrs)
was a guitar show put on the tv one day,,,madeira had made a special,,maybe it was just b4 they closed down in Japan.
this particular one was gold plated gear throughout,,it sold then for 15,000 gbp.

But more recently I had came across a bit of info on the net around a year ago,and it was talking about madeira and Hondo
saying what i said about production times,,b4 1974 the Madeira was a guild with just a diff name and built in Japan.
Anyway the article was saying that the build quality matches a thousand pound guitar of today. Also it was DiMarzio pickups that they put in them,
Lost my hard drive since then and have been trying like mad to find it again.
Bought a solid ash Hondo body off Ebay a year ago because of that article(Les Paul copy)
and built a guitar round it (Gibson 496R and Kent Armstrong super distortion pickups)
and i,ll tell you its as heavy as lead lmao,,if i dropped it,,,i,d break my foot and the floor,,,,lol

Also dont know if you lot know this,,,,,,,but Gibson announced just in the past month or so,,that by 10 yrs time they will not be able to build guitars out of wood any more???? so have a wee think about the values of jap squires jap Guilds etc,,,,,,,,

10-31-2011, 12:43 AM
Sure you'll be able to build guitars out of wood. Plenty of maple, butternut, cherry in the world.

adorshki
10-31-2011, 09:47 PM
Sure you'll be able to build guitars out of wood. Plenty of maple, butternut, cherry in the world.
I think the relevant element in punkmonsta's "quote" is that Gibson won't be able to build guitars out of wood anymore....
especially if it keeps gettin' seized! :lol:
(I know, it was a low blow, but it sure sounds like like one o' those unintentional double-entendres on somebody's part at Gibson!)
Oh, BTW< Welcome aboard, punkmonsta!

punkmonsta
11-01-2011, 06:06 PM
LOL ok,,seriously tho Gibson have commented that the way the price of wood is going,due to restrictions because of global warming,,
only the seriously rich will be able to buy wood made guitars in as little as 10 yrs time.

I tend to agree with them as I am French Polisher/Antique Restorer and am seeing the price of wood increasing rapidy.

OH!!! I found the best part of the info I had previously found on the net,that I cant find any more,,,had kept it on my memory stick
it goes as follows------------------

Madeira Guitars used to be Guilds import brand. Just like Epiphone is to Gibson now. They were first made in Japan with USA parts then were made in Korea with USA parts by Samick.(which also still makes Sigma for Martin, Epiphone for Gibson, and Squire for Fender but not with USA parts anymore). The letters in the model numbers do mean R=rosewood, M=mahogony, S=spruce, H-herringbone, and A=abalone altho the abalone was fake?. The Madeira is a fine instrument that will last a lifetime if taken care of. Very close to the USA Guilds and Gibsons with only the assembly being done in a different country while using identical parts as their American brothers. NOTHING sold in todays market for under $1000 will compare with a 70s-80s Madeira, Epiphone, Yamaha, Hondo, Alvarez, or Suzuki that was made in Japan.

fronobulax
11-01-2011, 06:34 PM
The source for your information seems to be this (http://www.guitarsite.com/database/Guitars/rec/3007/wwwboard/messages/46.shtml) forum post. That seems to be the oldest post from this (http://www.google.com/search?q=They+were+first+made+in+Japan+with+USA+pa rts+then+were+made+in+Korea+with+USA+parts+by+Sami ck&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=MTz&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&q=%22They+were+first+made+in+Japan+with+USA+parts+ then+were+made+in+Korea+with+USA+parts+by+Samick%2 2&pbx=1&oq=%22They+were+first+made+in+Japan+with+USA+parts +then+were+made+in+Korea+with+USA+parts+by+Samick% 22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=112740l115090l0l115646l2l2l0l0l0l0l215l285l 1.0.1l2l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=8562193df683b6ce&biw=902&bih=580) search.

Thanks for the information.