Covers of Beatles songs

Gruhn Loon

Reaction score
Over the last month I've been collecting songs written by the Beatles and covered by other artists. Turns out there are hundreds of versions out there. There are even web sites devoted to listing as many of these covers as possible. Despite consulting several of these sites I've found relatively few that are instrumental guitar versions that are available on cd. I've located the following:

Something and Imagine by Chet Atkins
When I'm Sixty Four by Leo Wijnkamp Jr.
Hey Jude by Dale Miller
I Want to Hold Your Hand by Earl Klugh
Day Tripper/ Lady Madonna and Michelle by Tommy Emmanuel
Day Tripper by Gene Wooten
Imagine by Dan Schwartz
Michelle by Yang Xue Fei
MIchelle by David Wayne
She's Leaving Home by Larry Coryell

If you happen to be aware of any other instrumental guitar versions or any cover that you're just crazy about I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,
Gruhn Loon

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hi loon - here's some ideas for your collection.

John Pizzarelli - Meets the Beatles - great CD, instrumental version of Eleanor Rigby included, vocals on the other songs.

George Benson - The Other Side of Abbey Road - all instrumental CD.

Laurence Juber - LJ Plays the Beatles - all solo guitar! Ex-Wings guitarist!

Chet Atkins - Picks on the Beatles

Pickin' on the Beatles (Volume 1 and 2) - various artists

Across the Universe - Eric Hansen - flamenco guitar!

Jack Jezzro - Beatles on Guitar - solo acoustic guitar

Stephen Bennett - Beatles Acoustic Guitar solos - not my favorite, but you might like it

Goran Sollscher - Here, There and Everywhere - classical guitar

Come Together CD's - 2 volumes of guitarists doing Beatle tunes, for example David Gilmour doing I am the Walrus, Michael Hedges doing If I Needed Someone, and more.

Also there's a great tune by Michael Hedges called Lenono you might like.

Ron Eschete - Beatles Jazz - whole CD of Beatles covers, he's a jazz guitarist.

Go to itunes and you will see a lot of guitar instrumental covers. A lot of the CDs above are on itunes as well, or amazon. Here are a few single songs I have downloaded:

A Day in the Life - Jeff Beck
She's A Woman - Jeff Beck
A Day in the Life - Lee Ritenour
While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Russ Freeman and the Rippingtons
In My Life - Spyrogyra

This should keep you busy for a while!

Have fun, walrus

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Loon - I forgot you also asked for Beatles covers we like, not just guitar solos.

Diana Krall - And I Love Her - very sexy, great version

Pearl Jam doing Gimme Some Truth live - wow!

Billy Preston's Encouraging Words has great versions of My Sweet Lord, All Things Must Pass, and I've Got a Feeling - this was released before Harrison's All Things Must Pass came out!

Joe Cocker doing any Beatles tune - Something, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window, and my favorite, Maybe I'm Amazed

The I Am Sam soundtrack has some great covers, in particular Paul Westerburg doing Nowwhere Man accompanied only by himself on guitar. One of my favorite Beatles covers ever.

Bryan Ferry - Jealous Guy

Mad Season (Layne Staley on vocals) doing I Don't Wanna Be a Soldier is very powerful and intense

OK, that's it for now - obviously, I am also a fan of Beatles covers! Anything Beatles related, I love! Just don't get me going on Beatles bootlegs...

walrus

Gruhn Loon

Reaction score
Hi walrus,

Thank you for the many leads. I'm familiar with a few of these but most are new to me. Perhaps you've already heard these, but Jake Shimabukuro does a great version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on the ukulele no less. Booker T and the MG's do a version of "Something" and "Lady Madonnna", and Johnny Cash does a very moving version of "In My Life".

Again thanks for your reply.

Loon

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
walrus said:
Anything Beatles related, I love!