1970s Guild S-100 Questions

Reaction score
Hi- Just trying to get some info on a local shop's Guild S-100 that I found and was considering buying. I found a pict since it is different than all other S-100s I have seen. It has a Hagstrom styled vibrato arm from what I can gather, but I know nothing more about it. Similar in concept to the Bigsby, but you can crank on this and the tuning is very stable, unlike most Bigsby's of course. Here is a pict of a 71 catalogue with the model shown in the left most position of the three shown in the first ad. I am guessing the serial number dates it to 1970. It had a slim neck and PAF style pickups, meaning lower output. Everything seemed in perfect condition and it came with the original case, also in mint condition considering its age. I ask about this because of the obvious fun to play it, but also I was wondering of the level of demand for such an instrument. Could I recoup my investment if I dont bond with it?? If it was a stop tailpiece (a la Soundgarden's Kim Thayil), then I'd be all over it. Not that the tremelo version is bad- in fact it is excellent. It would be nice to hear a stop tailpiece S-100 for comparison. I am not sure if this is rare and would fetch more than the stop tailpiece version. Either way it is a very well made guitar with mojo....opinions on whether I should go for it???

heres the pict:
http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/adDetails/322

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, dewman! Lots of knowledgable S-100 owners here, as you probably already know. Hope one can answer your question right away.

Post well! Post often!

Maxer

Reaction score
I dunno. I would get it, provided it's not crazy expensive. A picture would be good... what colour/finish is it?

If it's in good shape and it was an early 70s model I'd drop as much as a grand on it. These things are relatively rare and are only going to become rarer.

Hope you go for it... if so, post pics! Cheers.

danerectal

Reaction score
Personally I could never tell anyone to pass up a good deal on a Guild, especially an S-100. The Hagstrom vibrato has been peaking my interest for some time now. As I have never used one, I have to information to provide. Max is probably the best resource for that. As for an actual Deluxe with Bigsby/Guild vibrato, they are the ultimate. The tuning is fine once it's been set up, and it's more versatile than the hard tail. On the other hand I really like the harp effect one can elicit from strumming between the parallelogram tailpiece and the roller bridge. This reminds me of another downfall of the Hagstrom equipped S-100s, no adjust-o-matic roller bridge. If the one you speak of has the original HB-1 pickups, I would say a good trial investment would fall between $850-$1000 depending on the condition. One would really need to twist my arm to pick up a Hagstrom equipped S-100 for even a penny over $900 mainly because of the lesser bridge. When it comes down to it, I say play it if you can first, then wait an hour and go swimming. Seriously though you shouldn't have an issue finding a buyer if you're not too sure about how it feels in your hands. Hope I didn't complicate the issue for you. I have strong feelings about S-100s as you can see below.

edit: By the way, if yours has the mini-humbuckers as in the catalog illustration, that would change everything. The simple rarity of such an object would push me up to the $1000 range. It sounds like that's what you mean by PAF. If so good luck jumping of it.

Reaction score
Its cherry mahogany. The 'asking' price is 795$. I should be ale to get it for significantly less, say between 700 and 750 hopefully. Comes with original case. Yellow color inside the case. Case was in perfect condition. I liked it a lot when I held onto it. The pickups are just like the pict in the catalog link I posted. Humbucker sized, but lower output and thus reminded me of PAFs. Man I am torn - don't know what to do. Its in nearly perfect cosmetic condition too. So the Hagstrom vibaro isn't a turn off? It was nice to have it and it didn't seem to affect sustain or tuning stability, and I have quite a heavy right hand when playing unfortunately. I was thinking of resale and didn't know if the bulk of you all like the stop tail versions...

Dreamlander

Reaction score
$795 :shock: , I would be all over that one! Espeicially if I could play it first hand first. Cherry in original hardshell :D . I have never played one with the hagstrom vibrato, but would surely love to. At that price it would would be a very sound investment. You could probably make money on ebay, and if you don't like ebay... I would buy it from you at that price! :wink:

Reaction score
yeah I played it first hand...very nice, very very nice...I'm going back over to check it out tomorrow...

matsickma

Reaction score
Hey dewman,

I am one of the few guys who like a Hagstrom tremar. It sounds like a good deal to me. I have owned are S100 reissue and a 1972 S100 (pre phase switch). I personally liked the early 1970's model better. If you decide you are not goint to buy the early "deluxe" then pass along the info to the LTG gang. I am sure it won't be for sale very long. :twisted:

M

Maxer

Reaction score
Hey man - if you think you can get it for seven bills or under I'd be all over it. I have one with the lower-end Hagstrom vibrato and it's a fine guitar, although I must add that I don't personally use the whammy as I find it messes with the intonation. Mind you, I used it hard for years and I just got used to tuning it back up a lot, but these days I have a softer, less hack playing style and I usually play hard tails anyway. With my '71 S-100 I just eventually screwed the sucker down so there's no movement possible. For a real whammy I keep one superstrat Washburn with a floating bridge - a licensed FR. I love what it can do but most of the time these days I am more into doing my own bluesier bends, not so much the dive-bombing thing.

If you go for the one you're looking at, who knows? It may play like a charm and keep the intonation rock solid. Or you could mod it... in any case, in my book the S-100s are massively cool guitars. One day I wouldn't mind collecting a second one myself, but one that's a little more historically accurate... mine's been through the wringer and it would be nice to have a period-appropriate one in good condition alongside of my 'rogue' S-100.

Hope you get it!

Dreamlander

Reaction score
matsickma said:
. I have owned are S100 reissue and a 1972 S100 (pre phase switch). I personally liked the early 1970's model better. If you decide you are not goint to buy the early "deluxe" then pass along the info to the LTG gang. I am sure it won't be for sale very long. :twisted:

M
You have a '72 S100 without a phase switch? I didn't know these existed. I wouldn't really say '72 was "pre phase switch" since I have seen a 1970 with a phase switch. (danerectal's)

dewman said:
It has a Hagstrom styled vibrato arm from what I can gather, but I know nothing more about it. Similar in concept to the Bigsby, but you can crank on this and the tuning is very stable, unlike most Bigsby's of course.
My S100 deluxe with bigsby style bridge must not be like most bigsbys then, because i can go anywhere with that baby, way up or way down and stays in perfect tune. It didn't when I first got it with whatever strings where on it, but i changed to 11's, set it up, and now it is perfect. :mrgreen:

danerectal

Reaction score
I'd say with the right setup and some graphite on the contact points, the strings should be able to return to zero. Any problem I've ever had with a guitar just needed a little monkeying, with the exception of a twisted or unseated neck.

Reaction score
Will do- If I don't pick it up, and it is still there of course, I'll pass along where it is to you guys. I'mm all for keeping these guitars in the hands of real players and persons who can appreciate how great they are. Now to find a nice old bluesbird to go along with it....

matsickma

Reaction score
Hey Dreamlander,

I checked my records and your right. Mine was not a 1972. It was a later 1970 model SN 50312. It was a pretty sweet guitar to play albeit not my normal style guitar. I sold it to a guy from Spain for $700 last year. I guess he got a good deal.

3.jpg

1.jpg

M

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Wow M; what a beauty! Fire sale? cj

matsickma

Reaction score
capn,

Nah. I got it for a good price and sold it for a modest markup. I usually hope to break even after all the fees. It sure seems like it would be difficult to make any real money on ebay with all the fees and paypal costs. For hobby users like me it is a great tool to buy and sell but it sure would be tough to make a living selling things on ebay.

M

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
10-4 on the eBay-nomics; I was thinking the S-100s in the last several months had been running several hundred dollars more. cj

Maxer

Reaction score
Gawd, that's a real beauty of a '70 S-100! If I was working right now I'd find that hard to resist. If you ask me, $1500 for one in that condition, of that vintage, is a solid deal, especially when you consider what Gibson SGs from the same era tend to cost.