Not a Guild....but (pics)

Brent Nelson

Reaction score
My "new" 1967 Gibson B25. This one even still had the hang tags -- just great shape for a 40-year old guitar. I'm really beginning to like this one. Not the loudest or most powerful or even best guitar I've ever owned. But it has a really warm, sweet tone and a mojo all its own.

b25-front1.jpg

b25-back3jpg.jpg

b25-bridge.jpg

b25-front2.jpg

b25-front.jpg

b25-headstock.jpg

Pike

Reaction score
Nice score! She'd sound a lot better if you nix that adjustable saddle.

Brent Nelson

Reaction score
Yeah..that saddle was indeed a bad idea by Gibson. Indeed, Graham, it's Gibson's notorious "adjustable bridge." A LOT of hardware there -- a BUNCH of added weight -- and all around not the greatest engineering by Gibson. Many folks swap out these old Gibsons for standard types of bridges/saddles. But...this guitar is so pristine and I like the tone so much as it is, I think I'm just going to leave well enough alone.

Thanks for the kind words!
Brent

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Brent; what a beauty! Man ... that's not a saddle, it's a block wall ... wow; the neck must be set a little higher on the body to compensate, no? Remarkable condition! cj

Brent Nelson

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the ceramic saddle that weighs likely three times more than it needs to. Not Gibson's greatest innovation. But she sounds nice as is, and is in such great original shape, I think I'm going to leave well enough alone and leave her original rather than swapping out that whole contraption for something more traditional (and a LOT lighter!).

Thanks all for the nice words! I'm generally a "big guitar guy," but this one is becoming a favorite. It has a mojo all it's own....

Brent

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Brent Nelson said:
Yeah, that's the ceramic saddle that weighs likely three times more than it needs to. Not Gibson's greatest innovation. But she sounds nice as is, and is in such great original shape, I think I'm going to leave well enough alone and leave her original rather than swapping out that whole contraption for something more traditional (and a LOT lighter!).
Thanks all for the nice words! I'm generally a "big guitar guy," but this one is becoming a favorite. It has a mojo all it's own.... Brent
Hi Brent: T'were me and if the action is good and unless whatever saddle tweaks you might be thinking about are reversible, I don't think I'd mess with it. Agree that it might not be optimum but it has to do a better job than the run-of-the-mill plastic from the era. cj

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
She is a beauty, Brent!

A luthier friend did a major restoration of a B45-12 for me about a year ago. We decided to scrap the attempt to rebuild the adjustable bridge it originally had. It was in very sad shape. Here's what he subsituted:
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/Guildmark/Gibson B45-12/P1010072.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/Guildmark/Gibson B45-12/P1010080.jpg

It's been sold since then.

Congratulations on your acquisition! Let us know when you get any audio or video pics posted.

Brent Nelson

Reaction score
Thanks gang. I am indeed having fun with this one. It has a tone all its own much different than any of my other guitars.

I'm going to be in the Seattle/Tacoma area for a job interview tomorrow through Saturday. I'm hoping to get over to the Guild factory and check that out. Anyone done the "tour?"

Brent

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Brent Nelson said:
I'm going to be in the Seattle/Tacoma area for a job interview tomorrow through Saturday. I'm hoping to get over to the Guild factory and check that out. Anyone done the "tour?"

Brent

I don't think they have tours.

While you're there though say high to Jeff. He'll be the one sitting in a big ol pickup waiting for some staff member to leave the gate unlocked. :wink:

Brent Nelson

Reaction score
Hahah. Okay. What color pickup? ;)

It'll be a good day to head out of Wisconsin. Wind chills are below zero here!! (although I love it here anyway!).
Brent