Guild S65-D

dpv

Reaction score
maybe this is a silly question :lol: , but I am trying to find out the exact shape/measurements of the neck on my S65-D.

I am the original owner and bought it when I was 10 years old, back in 1980 and have never found a neck as comfortable as this one.

I have owned a lot of guitars, but I have been playing this one just about everyday for 27 years.

thanks for any advice.

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/2627/g1qd2qj8.jpg

danerectal

Reaction score
I can't really give you any answers, but I must say you were one of the most responsible 10 year-olds I've ever heard of. That S-65d looks brand new. I've played an S-60d owned by Dreamlander and it's a pretty nice playing instrument.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Don't have written specs for you, dpv, but I'm guessing someone around here will pop up with them! May I ask a silly question of my own? Can you measure it? :?
Scale, nut width, string spacing...those are pretty simple. There must be a way to determine the fingerboard radius and neck profile. If someone here can point the way to that, you can have the exact shape and measurements of that specific guitar. Or is my simple mind proving itself again? Am I missing something? :shock:

Welcome aboard!

Post well. Post often.

danerectal

Reaction score
There is a trick to measuring the radius and the neck profile. Hold a notecard level on the fretboard or the back of the neck. In some cases you may want to use tagboard with a notch cut out so you can rest the paper on a level surface only touching the neck at a tangent. You can then use a washer with a pencil stuck through it to trace the radius and profile onto the tagboard. This will give you the general shape of the neck and can also give you the radius if you measure with a compass and subtract the radius of the washer. Of course this method could do little more than approximate the radius and give you an expanded view of the profile shape, but it sure beats buying a bunch of luthier's gauges just to find measurements for one guitar.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I bet a luthier would take all your measurements for a very minimal charge. If you think about, being able to get the exact specs for the most comfortable neck you've ever played in your life is a pretty valuable piece of info. Worth a few bucks, eh?