This is a pretty rare beast

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Look at this rare Guild beauty. A 1959 Guild Model 200 S Stereo Amp. Seller claims it belonged to Lindy Fralin. Sounds like it could be amazing--vibrato and EL34s. If the date is correct, this appeared the same year as the legendary Gibson GA-79RVT.

Click on http://www.topshelfmusic.com. Then click Amps & Electronics and scroll down.

Description:
From tonemaster Lindy Fralin's personal collection. Super rare all tube 2 channel true stereo combo with 2 x 25 watt EL34 powered amplifiers, vibrato, and 2 x 12" original alnico 12" speakers. Clean pro tweed recovered long ago. Looks and sounds awsome. EXC.

Okay, anyone here well-heeled enough to snag it? GoG? matsickma? capn?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks JP: mighty pretty! A Guild 200S, in average original condition, went by the boards on eBay 4-6 weeks ago; didn't meet reserve. Anybody know of any other EL34 Guild amps? cj

Guild200Sstereo.jpg

matsickma

Reaction score
I receintly found out that Guild made a 4 channel PA system with EL-34's.

Also, It looks like this amp has been refinished. The origional color would have been a grey with a blend of small white "paint drop". Some models of this style may also have been standard grey. Interestingly these amps are pretty rare and a few years ago were going for $1k +. I saw the amp Grot was refering to a few weeks ago. It looked stock.

M

matsickma

Reaction score
A few picture and I'm off to work!

This earlier model has the cheaper Oxford speakers. Later ones had the Jensens. There are two versions of preamp section of the 200-S. This one, which I like, has a toggle switch that allows you to use a mono jack from the guitar and have is automatically split between the two channels. The other model requires you to short a stero jack to mono, or use an adapter, to have mono simultaneously run to both channels.

Guild_200-SAmp_1.jpg

Guild_200-SAmp_2.jpg

Guild_200-SAmp_3.jpg

Guild_200-SAmp_4.jpg

And the Guild EL34 PA Head:

Guild_PA_1.jpg

Guild_PA_2.jpg

Guild_PA_3.jpg

M

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Great Pics! Thanks Mike. cj

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yup. Thanks for the pics and info matsickma. I'm very intrigued with this amp.

Kap'n

Reaction score
Those older alnico oxfords don't sound that bad. I mean, they're not Jensens, but I dig 'em. I had a pair of 12" in a white/oxblood bandmaster cab.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I wish; the only thing 45 minutes down the round from me is Boca Del Vista ... :evil: c

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Agree Kurt; I'm sure it's a sweet-sounding, charming amp but like so many sellers, these guys insist on starting the auction about where, on its best day, the amp might wind up.... It isn't really an auction; it's a take-it-or-leave-it offer at $650. If nothing else, sitting dead in the water for a week or so will help the dealer convince the consignor/owner that his expectations are unrealistic. cj

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I believe this is the second time they've posted it. I think I looked into it a little bit the first time.

I'd give 'em $400 for though!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
$400 would be a good price; coulda been on eBay recently but my head might have been turned by that parade of stereo Gibsons a month or so back. I'd love to have a knee-high, stand-behind Guild 'box' amp like this one or the 98RT which, on paper anyway, is pretty much a dupe of an Ampeg reverberocket but in the older Fender/Gibson/Guild-style cabinet. cj

matsickma

Reaction score
I don't know. If it had a Gibson or Gretsch name it would demand 3-4 X the $. Hey. Crummy Sears Silvertone Danelectro amps today go for $600! So I don't see the price out of line.

M

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
matsickma said:
I don't know. If it had a Gibson or Gretsch name it would demand 3-4 X the $. Hey. Crummy Sears Silvertone Danelectro amps today go for $600! So I don't see the price out of line.

M
Although street value is street value, I would tend to agree. However, the seller probably would have been better off starting with a lower reserve.

matsickma

Reaction score
Very true. In fact based on my observations of ebay a seller would do best to low-ball the start price and let the auction carry itself. More people get interested and eventually get caught up in the auction moment and bid up the price.

M

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
I believe this is the second time they've posted it. I think I looked into it a little bit the first time. I'd give 'em $400 for though!
It's been relisted again Here cj

Reaction score
After getting no bids, it's back on eBay.

I seriously considered buying this one. So much so that I called the guitar store that is selling it. They said that it has been serviced, but they didn't know the details. One employee guessed new tubes and rebias. I would want to know if it had been recapped and whether it has a 3-prong plug, but they would have had to look up the repair/service ticket.

I also called Lindy Fralin to ask about the one he used to own. (Super friendly guy, by the way.) He said he sold his because it was mostly for "research" purposes when developing his signature amp. He said the amp was dark, and not as loud as he would have thought. It's 25w per side, and he said it sounded more like 12w per side. The trem doesn't have the stereo feature that some of the Gibson amps had, but using a Y cable will allow you to have trem on one speaker and a "dry" signal on the other. Lindy said he's a reverb addict, so he didn't hang onto his amp. His signature amp is based on his blackface Fender Vibroverb, his blackface Fender Vibrolux, and a tweed Fender Pro. (His amp has a 15" speaker, reverb, and no trem.)

This amp sure looks like a clean, interesting example. I'm still tempted to call the shop back and offer $500, but I don't think it would add anything I don't already have (except stereo).

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Dave; if they can't find the service ticket and you think you're interested, maybe they can tug one of the chassis out and take some more pics. If re-capped, it ought to show. It's sure a nice looking rig with or with true stereo.

EL34 amps from the mid/later 60s often have 'ultra-linear' taps on the OT for the screens; said by many to be the best way to get tone from the EL34, run it at higher plate/screen voltages, and get stability on the screens; in many Guild amps: some Quantums, all the 6550 models, had 6GF7s installed as screen regulators in the power supply.