Best "compromise" 12" speaker for Thunder 1 RVT.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The Thunder 1 that I have, was fitted with a Celestion Greenback by Cap'n Juan.
Now, the Greenback is my first-choice electric guitar speaker, for the kind of tone that I prefer.
But; I bought this amp. primarily for use with acoustic guitar, and the Greenback doesn't fit that scenario. I will though, be using the amp for electric as well.

So, my dilemma; what to replace the Greenback with ?
Seems to me, that a Celestion Blue might work well, but I'm not keen to spend that much money. Which leads me to the Weber P12 range.
Now, my all-round guitar experience is very limited, and I cannot go anywhere and scope-out all the alternatives. So, I need advise, preferably confined to this one manufacturer, unless somebody has a compelling, "must buy" brand X solution.

Opinions please ?

Oh, and........ ceramic vs alnico ? I'd also like something that's relatively "efficient" although, the sounds the thang !

Some of you will be familiar with my adventures with a Silvertone 1482. I had Cap'n fit that with a Celestion Blue.
I've since swapped the Blue into the cabinet that I use with my THD Univalve, and taken the Greenback from that cabinet and fitted it in the 1482. The 6V6's and Greenback go together like butter and toast !

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Or peanut butter and bourbon, or, or...
HWI, I'm going to bed.

Heard some decent things about Eminence speakers.

gilded

Reaction score
Coastie, my Son,

a) What else have you used for an acoustic/electric amp (with your fave guitar)
that you like?

b) What kind of pickup do you have in your acous/elec geetar? Piezo, magnetic,
hot dots, polymer film, microphone, a combination, eye of newt?

c) Do you typically use a pre-amp to boost signal? If not, do you need to??

d) Do you use effects when you play acous/elec? Chorus? Reverb? Delay?

It all makes a difference.

I have piezoed this guitar, microphone-ed that guitar, pickup-ed another, etc.
[the eye of newt didn't work so well].

I've used pendulum audio preamps, rane peamps, a sunrise tube interface with 'various and sundry' separate power amps. I've used a crate 125D amp, various PAs, Baggs paracoustic DIs and a Fishman Aura system with (in no particular order): Baggs I-Beams, Fishman Piezos, Crown microphones, polymer film pickups, Sunrise magnetic pickups and then, now that I think of it, some silly stuff.

My favorite? Whatever won't feedback (much) and whatever I can set up the quickest.
If I was gonna use a Thunder 1 RVT, I'd be thinkin' magnetic pickup, like a Sunrise, or the appropriate Fishman or Baggs soundhole pickup. I'd try and find a clean and efficient speaker like the functional equivalent of a Jensen C12N (the speaker they used in the Fender Twins). I'd turn down the bass on the RVT a whole lot (the treble just a lot) and probably try the bright channel.

My Thunder 1 is in the shop this week getting some different power tubes.
When I get it back, I'll play my '77 Takamine M@#T!n copy (Fishman VTB/piezo set up) and my M@#t!n HD28V (Sunrise mag pu) through it and tell you which sounds better. I mean, I already know which sounds better, but I'm going to pretend that I'm conducting an 'empirical test', just for you!!

Yer pal, gilded

PS I like Eminence speakers, too. They have a C12N clone, I just have to remember which one it is.....the Tonker?? They have a good factory in China, too. Might save you some bucks all the way over there in the middle of all that water at the edge of the world.......

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Coastie: http://www.tedweber.com/ On the left, Speakers / then Vintage series / then scroll to the 12"ers; on the alnico side, the 12A100 or the 12A125 difference is voice coil size and early v. later breakup...and there are the ceramics there too. As close as anyone can make them, these are faithful duplicates of the Jensen speakers of the 1960s. IMO, alnico is a little 'cooler' and more accurate where ceramic is a little hotter and a bit more forward.

cj

matsickma

Reaction score
I have tried many different types including high priced JBL's. Typically vintage Jensen and Eminence with ceramic magnets sound quite good. I'll see if I can identify some models.

M

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys.

A/E guitars I have are a Guild F4CE with Fishman transducer, and a Maton with AP5.

I was at that Weber site yesterday, and then found another site that was better laid out; all descriptions on one page, without having to click individual models.

Maybe the smart thing to do is leave the Greenback in, and play A/E through the "bright" input, with tone controls juggled accordingly.

Or, maybe an even smarter idea !! Firstly, take the amp. to the Dr, and get it running proper !!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Coastie: not sure if you'd be interested in chasing this or not but, if you do and you need a US bidding / shipping surrogate, let me know. Link to an 8" / 8 Ohm CTS speaker; seller sez from 1964. This was the original make / model installed in the T1 RVTs as the reverb speaker. Occasionally seen still in amps with original white-text-on-red-background Guild stickers. Hard to tell by just looking at pics but no apparent cone damage. cj

Auction Link CTS 8" Speaker