Doesn't the new Larrivee look like an upscale Bluesbird?

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
:D I think they look a little droopy, saggy, and sad. It's almost as if they were made of wax and then left in the sun a few minutes. :cry: You know. . . a little melty.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Here you go Steve...does look a little ....eh ....blobby? bottom-heavy?

larivee.jpg

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Disappointing" is the word I would use. Maybe I could pry the fingerboard off and use it on a dearmond.

Just goes to show how Guild made beautiful gear. :(

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I wonder if the 'bottom-blob' is a function of forcing the image to a pre-determined height? Otherwise reminiscent of the Epiphone/Gibson 'Texan' slope-shouldered look.

Maxer

Reaction score
Jury's out for me, at least until I could get one in my hands and give it a go. I have a nice '2000 dreadnaught made by the same folks and it's quite a beauty to play. I agree that it's an odd shape and that binding interruption lacks finesse, but maybe, just maybe, they know what they're doing. On the other hand, they've made their rep on acoustics and electrics may be a whole other ball game for them. Could be a false start, who knows.

If it was a real player I wouldn't mind its squashed looks. It might even start to grow on me. Much depends on how much they'd want for one, of course. I doubt I'd buy it brand new. I like to buy used gear in general anyway.

In any case, I'll be looking forward to reviews of this one.

Jahn

Reaction score
hmm that's a good point. collings, taylor, and larrivee all have great acoustic reps, so why go electric? i mean, look at what happened when Martin tried, heh.

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jahn said:
hmm that's a good point. collings, taylor, and larrivee all have great acoustic reps, so why go electric? i mean, look at what happened when Martin tried, heh.

Good question. I was looking at a couple of Collings electrics at McCabes in Santa Monica, CA yesterday, along with the Taylor solid bodies. These guitars seem to be more collectors pieces for people who love pretty woods (yes, guilty as charged, but there is a limit!) than serious instruments to shred with on stage. My guess is these companies have established a loyal following of high end acoustic buyers, and they're going after the same folks with their electric lines. Unless you're really familiar with Taylor, Larrivee or Collings those are probably not the first electrics you're going to look at when searching for a guitar. And if you're really going to PLAY your electric, do you really want to risk beating up something that pretty?

Jahn

Reaction score
hmm, i agree, looks like the only folks daring to gig their Collings electrics are guys like John Mayer channeling Justin Timberlake!

Hee hee!

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The new Collings electrics are worthy instruments ... just too expensive for most gigging players I know. That semi-hollow especially, seems positioned as is the Sadowsky sem-hollow, towards high end buyers who want alternatives to the vintage Gibson choices, but don't really mind vintage prices. The 290 is (I think) a really nice interpretation of the old LP Special design. Classy, well designed instrument. If it were cheaper I'd probably own one.

The new Larivee does not look right at all, especially that cutaway.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Seems like all the high end acoustic companies are building a very ugly Les Paul-alike all of a sudden.
Even Ovation is building something that looks very similar now.

Maxer

Reaction score
Agreed, but I can't say I'm surprised by this development, considering how LPs have become, more than ever, investments. Their resale value is incredible and their branding is practically invincible. No wonder other companies are trying to get a piece of the action by referencing certain style notes which originate with the LP profile. They're hoping people will be more willing to cough up large coin to get that certain elusive whiff of class and history. Whether or not everyone's going to be successful playing this game is another question altogether.

The Larrivee looks pretty weird... like a mutant LP raised on a high-gravity planet. I bet it plays like a charm, though.

Volt

Reaction score
I used to own a '74-ish Bluesbird. Great, albeit heavy guitar. I'm not liking the blob look of the Larrivee.
I'm at a loss why Fender doesn't fire up Guild into making a Les Paul type guitar in the mid/upper-mid price range. Not too many people including me can afford a Gibby LP. The Guild electrics could have the freedom to stray from the Strat Tele type guitars. Perhaps Fender is worried it would steal sales from their guitars, I don't know.