Danny Gatton, time to revisit

hideglue

Reaction score
Hi Don,

Teles are my choice for electrics and Danny (along with Roy Nichols, Pete Anderson and Clarence) are my standards for playing. Danny and Robby Gordon's version of "There Stands the Glass" ( Humbler- Live) just kills!

Thanks for the links!

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning this. "There Stands the Glass" is great tune. I've heard only one version of it, but right now I can't remember the name of the guy who did it. He was a big country singer long ago.

hideglue

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Thanks for mentioning this. "There Stands the Glass" is great tune. I've heard only one version of it, but right now I can't remember the name of the guy who did it. He was a big country singer long ago.

Darryl,
I believe you're thinking of Webb Pierce

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darryl,
I believe you're thinking of Webb Pierce

Be sure & submit the Web Pierce You Tube bit to Coastie for critical review.

hideglue

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
One thing I like about Webb Pierce's version is that he sounds like he's living it.

Exactly. The difference between real country music and that fluff Nashville is passing off lately (err, past decade or more)

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I thought the 90s were great for country, but so I'm surprised how bad it is now. Somebody said Shania is Nashville's most talented lap dancer.

But there's stil a lot of great indie label country.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I saw Gatton live once, and it was sort of a circus act more than anything else IMO - I was watching slack jawed one second, laughing out loud the next. He played one medley of at least seventeen different tunes I could make out, and at one point even his bassplayer threw up his hands as if to say "you lost me now too!".
Never seen anyone so in control of an instrument I think.

Amazing player, but I would have loved to see him do more as a sideman, same goes for Roy Buchanan IMO.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
One thing I like about Webb Pierce's version is that he sounds like he's living it.

In his '62 Pontiac!

905896693_d416600a16.jpg

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of a guy in Sacramento in the 50s who had a black Chevy nomad wagon. He wanted to pit a chromed 30 cal machine gun on a tripod in the back, but the law said no.