More tonal foolishness -- Roland RE-201 Space Echo

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Been on quite a tear lately, trying out stuff I've dreamed about for years. Which included, yesterday, picking up a tape echo unit. Never plugged into one, rarely have seen one upclose. This Roland is quite handsome, outside of some scratches on the front control plate, looks new. The trick will be to use it. Sure looks smaller in pictures. In person, it's not small, lots of confusing knobs. As a friend always said "you have to be smarter than the machine to use it." OK, challenges are good. This will be fun!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi MD: got a pic or two? cj

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The guys over on the Gretsch forum love that thing. Great for rockabilly as well as that sixties hash brownie stuff.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
John: I'll try to take a pic tomorrow. Spent a good part of the day messing with it. Seems somewhat picky on amps. Plenty of volume but also noise on the Sewell, sounds great with the Ampeg Gemini but seems to cut volume.

With the old Gibson GA40 and a tele tuned to open E ... slam dunk!! Unearthly, beautiful tones. Inspiring, hard to stop playing. Really enjoying this wild device.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Greetings, I had one a long time ago, you can take a moon walk with one of those things and a couple of amps. Loved doing a long repeat cycle and harmonizing, I think, with it...you will have a blast. Clean off the heads with 100% alcohol, and q tips, but not the capstan, as the alcohol dries out the rubber, and shrinks it. Use a little Joy in water, like you use dishwashing. for the capstan. Steffan

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
taabru45 said:
Hash brownie stuff?? Did i miss something?? Steffan
Hi Steffan and welcome; depending on your age, you might have missed the 1960s. Wiki on Alice B. Toklas. No endorsement or fitness-of-use expressed or implied and your mileage may vary. Reported side effects include mirth, audio/visual stimulation, and constipation. CJ

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yesiree....them was some daze, opps, oops i mean. days of course I do, or have. hmmm. I'll have another if you don't mind.....did you know Gertrude Stein, Allices lover of course, said "what was the question?" Her last words.....apparently someone had asked her something that she didn't hear clearly, then died. Rather fitting, wouldn't you say, what was the question? That is true, came across a book years ago, think it was called famous last words or something close to that. Very cool book, if you come across it. Steffan

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
taabru45 said:
Yesiree....them was some daze, opps, oops i mean.
Nah; you had it right the first time... :wink:

taabru45 said:
I'll have another if you don't mind.....
We'll have to wait for default, he went to get some more mix at the 7-Eleven ... except he left 2 hours ago...

taabru45 said:
.. did you know Gertrude Stein?
Yes, but only in the literary sense, not the Biblical one...

taabru45 said:
That is true, came across a book years ago, think it was called famous last words or something close to that. Very cool book, if you come across it. Steffan
I read documents for a living and tech books on amplifiers for entertainment; not much room for anything else except reading the labels on stool softeners.

Best wishes, CJ

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeez man, I asked you not to put your beer on my Abraxas album ....