S100 verses 1980's M80

matsickma

Reaction score
I wanted to pose a question to the S100 enthusiasts at LTG.

Have you guy's ever tried the 1980's M80 and what is your opnion?

I raise this question because I think the 1980's M80 is quite an exceptional solid body yet gets little notice. I have owned S100's in the past and sold them under the opnion the M80 was superior and worth holding on to.

There are a number of differences between these guitars with the most notable the neck (24 fret vs. 22) and the pickups (XR7 vs.Guild or SD's.) I have been considering changing pups on the later M80.

I find the 1980's M80 to be a perfect blend of a SG and LesPaul but with a Guild neck and quality finish.

I am not looking to start a war over this but I am curious what you think. If it turns out you have little experiance with the later M80's then they are worth a serious look.

I would have perfered the M80's to have block fret markers but do like that they don't have neck binding.

As a point of reference the 1980's M80 has little in common with the 1970's M80 other than name.

M

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Now I remember! Looks like a sweet player, but the more frets you give me, the more rope I have to shoot myself in the foot.
See the s-275 that's up? I always liked the look of them.

matsickma

Reaction score
Yes. I know what you mean. The S275 is pretty nice. It is much lighter than a M80. I own a blond one and thought I would like it more than a M80. To my suprise the double cutaway of the M80 made access to the upper frets easy and the arched top of the M80 looks pretty cool.

M

danerectal

Reaction score
I really don't like the looks of the 80s version. I'd trade one of my S-100s for an M80CS any day of the week, but I just don't like the stripped down look of the 80s version. Of course, I've never played the M75 Bluesbird or the M80CS, or the M80 from the 80s for that matter. My main reason for denouncing the 80s M80 is the lack of HB-1s, if in fact they are lacking. The plain neck is only redeemed for me by the extra frets.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's the M-80 lineage.

1977 first generation;

1977aM-80.JPG

1981 second generation;

1981cM-80.JPG

1982 third generation;

1982aM-80.jpg

I never weighed this thing, but it is the heaviest guitar I have even lifted!

matsickma

Reaction score
One thing that is unusual about the 1980's M80 is that, IMO they look a lot better in person than in photographs.

Hey Grot do you find that to be true?

By the way that red 77 M80 is outstanding. Mine is Walnut colored and pretty nice. But that cherry color is something else!

In regards to the HB-1 availability...yes I think that it was a mistake for Guild not to offer that pickup option on the 1980's M-80.

M

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
matsickma said:
One thing that is unusual about the 1980's M80 is that, IMO they look a lot better in person than in photographs.

Hey Grot do you find that to be true?

Well the depth of the "arched tops" seems to get lost in the photos.

Of course the "arched tops" wreak havoc on the flat pick-up rings. The neck rings are almost always broken after being screwed down.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
matsickma said:
In regards to the HB-1 availability...yes I think that it was a mistake for Guild not to offer that pickup option on the 1980's M-80. M

Hello Mike & Dane,

The HB-1s were available as an option at no extra charge all through that particular period.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

danerectal

Reaction score
Figures, the way Guild worked... Even with the HB-1s available in later models, I think the M80CS is the ultimate variation of the M80. I would be interested to hear those XR7s in something. I wonder how they compare to the DiMarzio Super II. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that the XR7s were made by DiMarzio, am I wrong?

matsickma

Reaction score
I think it helps to appreciate the shape of the later M80 by looking at them as a solid body styling of a Starfire4. The 1970's M80 follows the Bluesbird look. It would also have been more appropriate to have a S-80 model number to represent there solid body design.

So Hans,

Have you ever seen a M80 or S275 with the HB-1's?

in regards to XR7's ... most that I have seen have the "Dimarzio" name machined off. I did see one set that still had the Dimarizio name on them.

Hans, Do you know if the XR7 nomenclature was Guilds or Dimarzio's?

M

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Although I've never played any of the M-80s, I have to go with danerectal's aesthetic. I also like the 70s model. I've never been fortunate enough to have any version in hand, though.

In the springtime of my youth, I loved late 70s-early 80s Ibanez solids--artists and studios. They had 24-fret necks, screaming electronics, and easy access to the high frets, which I went for often with youthful zeal. These really remind me of those, and I'm getting the bug for one now. I'll have to relive my days learning Santana licks.

matsickma said:
I think it helps to appreciate the shape of the later M80 by looking at them as a solid body styling of a Starfire4.
Interesting. . . I would never have noticed that until you said that. Maybe I could be swayed. The search is on.

matsickma

Reaction score
Just so everyone knows...I also like the 1970's M80 styling more than the later M80. I owned both a solidbody wine colored M75 (color similar to GoG's M80) and the '77 M80. I kept the M80. From my POV the two style M80's are very different guitars. The maple tops on the later models do add considerable weight.

My real question is why S100 enthusiasts don't seem to excited about the later model.
M

danerectal

Reaction score
From my perspective, as an obvious S-100 fanatic, the later M-80 didn't have the independent style of the earlier version. It just seems a little to plain and symmetrical without the pickguard and binding. I also prefer the smaller shape of the earlier one compared to the broad SF4-esque design. Surely nice guitars, just lacking the type of flair I desire.

Horuss

Reaction score
You know, I've never seen an M80CS (first-generation M80) for sale on ebay, Gbase, Craig's, etc.

I have been seriously looking for Guild guitars online for about a year now and have never seen one come up.

Jahn

Reaction score
i believe there was a first gen cherry M-80 at the 48th St. Sam Ash for a long time last year. They might still have it, worth a call if you're interested. I played it, it's HEAVY.

danerectal

Reaction score
Around the time I bought my S-100 starfire red, an M-80CS popped up on eBay. I was fixed on buying it, but the auction ended early. The pickups had been changed and I think there was an extra mini-toggle somewhere, but it looked like it was going to wind up a sweet deal.