Looking for S-100 advice

a1Gavin

Reaction score
Hi All,

First off i'd like to say great forum.

I am looking for some advice on my S-100 that has been sitting gathering dust for over 20 years..... Yes i know only a bass player could be so cruel to such a great guitar...... sorry :oops:

I would like to know the date guitar was made, I know i am the second owner and I think it is a 1973 but would like a second opinion.
Serial 55818. Pick ups are stamped Guild made in USA on back if that helps and is the model with the phase switch and studs on the body to indicate control levels (not sure if all S-100's had this)

I would also like to know what machine heads were on this when built, currently have grovers on but there is a second screw on headstock which indicates that there was another set on at some point but i'm not sure if they were added and grovers were original and replaced when sold to me.

So now i have this all dusted down and tested it, all sounds great just a lil noise off the two volume pots when adjusting and a roller missing so if anyone knows where i can get a roller it would be greatly appreciated.

I would be happy to add pics ....just don't know how!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Gavin and welcome: we have several members who'll happy to help you with details on your guitar. cj

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello Gavin,

Welcome! Serial # 55818 would make it an instrument from 1971 but that doesn't mean that the guitar left the factory in 1971.
Anyway, the phase switch was available in 1971 but not standard yet and the studs in the body would be normal during that particular period.

If the guitar was indeed finished in 1971 it probably had Grover StaTites, which are individual 'open' style tuners.

As far as the missing roller is concerned, there are several different versions of that bridge and the rollers are not interchangeable from one bridge to the other.
I can probably help you with a roller but we need to figure out which type you have.
Can you post a close-up photo of the bridge?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

a1Gavin

Reaction score
Hi Hans,

Thanks for all the information. I have no idea how to upload a picture so have added a pic as profile pic, hopefully you can make it out.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
a1Gavin said:
Hi Hans,

Thanks for all the information. I have no idea how to upload a picture so have added a pic as profile pic, hopefully you can make it out.

Hello Gavin,

Sorry, not enough detail! You can send a photo to me. My e-mail address is in my profile.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

a1Gavin

Reaction score
Sorry Hans ...not my day, can't get e-mail address from your profile nor does it display on my copy of the mail i posted from this site.

I will try and figure out how to upload a picture and let you know when i do.

Thanks again

Dreamlander

Reaction score
It is pretty easy to post pics. Just store it somewhere on the internet like http://www.photobucket.com
Then hit the little Img tab at the top of the "post a rely" page
Now paste the pics url from the hosting website in between the (here)[img]
You will probably have to make the pics smaller before you can upload them to the host site. You can use most photoprograms to do this. I use photostudio. You can also download irfanview(i think) and use that to make your pictures the required pixel size.
I don't know a whole about these things, but if you have any more questions ask.
Does yours have the open back tuners? Sounds like a sweet s-100. Hans got me a roller once for my s60d. Just get him the pic and you should be in business. Good luck. Can't wait to see some pics.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Greetings Gavin, and an och-aye welcome from Newsyland.

Somewhere on the forum, one of our regular contributors posted a very comprehensive instructional on how to post images; unfortunately, I don't recall where !

I have no doubt somebody will be along soon to point you in the right direction.

Enjoy your stay.

a1Gavin

Reaction score
Hi All and thanks for the warm welcome and advice on adding pics.

A special thanks to Hans for sourcing the part i needed spot on Hans thanks very much, arrived today and will get reponsne back to you via snail mail on Monday.

Going to try and add some pics now (sorry about quality)

guildS100Head.jpg

guildS-100.jpg

Childrenyoungandold.jpg

a1Gavin

Reaction score
Thanks Hans, It is cetrainly not going back into storage again thats for sure. It's a shame it wont see any gigs though, may have a chat with our guitarist see if he wants to have it on loan for a few of his rock gigs so it can get an airing :)

Maxer

Reaction score
And should you decide you ever want to sell it, let me know!

Seriously.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Going to try and add some pics now (

Gavin,

Welcome to the site & Congratulations on passing the picture posting rite of passage.

S 100 threads of late are causing me personal anguish. I don't have one & I've seen several here I want.

Jeff

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dreamlander,

Yeah I know already about this one, your Fargo buddy volunteered to help me out, posted it up this morning or last night in the ebay section.

Tempting, tempting.

I think I'm gonna have to pass, at least for a couple more weeks till I outgrow the Starfire.

a1Gavin

Reaction score
Thanks all, if i do ever decide to let this go i will be sure to let you guys know first ..but lets face it, only a bass player would be daft enough to do such a foolish thing. oh erm A what? :D