Just Roll Tape

bighouse

Reaction score
The new Stephen Stills release of some demo tapes laid down in 1968. Apparently the tapes were "rescued" from the dumpster and returned to him recently and, subsequently, published. I know he's a Martin player, but there's some fine guitar playing, as you'd expect - just Stills and his Martin - and its cool to hear early versions of some of his biggest tunes. Two thumbs up from Idaho!
Bill

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Big,

Pleased to make your acquaintance.

That's good to know. In those years, he was really something. A guitar slinger jamming with everybody. About 20 years ago, a great book about CSNY came out. Very informative. And I hear that Stills has pulled his head out of the toilet of drug use and is playing great stuff.

Not sure what you mean about Martin. For my ears, hands, and eyes, they are generally as great as Guild.

Hatted Frau (As I'm called here--and at every Hollywood gigolo service.)

bighouse

Reaction score
Hatted Frau - no slight intended towards Martins at all, it's just that this is a Guild forum, and I reckoned some might be sensitive to the absence of Guild-ness in the post! I should have known better; y'all are an open-minded and welcoming bunch here. Do you recall the title of the book you referred to??

WestRLee - yes, the name of the release is, uhh, "Just Roll Tape" (I guess I didn't make it clear!). I bought it off iTunes.

cheers, eh

Bill

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Redhouse,

I don't remember the name of the book. I do remember reading about Stills jamming with Jimi. I don't think they recorded it.

This forum covers all kinds of guitars. In addition, it covers Gibson.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Hatted Frau (As I'm called here--and at every Hollywood gigolo service.)

Just the Hatted Frau
everywhere I go
people know the part
I'm playing

Paid for every dance
selling each romance
every night some heart
betraying

There will come a day
youth will pass away
then what will they say
about me

When the end comes I know
they'll say just the Hatted Frau
as life goes on
without me

yada, yada, yada..
Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla
hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop with apologies to David Lee Roth

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Did you say you needed a Sheik? Here's one ... ruler says it's a big 'un too.

sheik.jpg

smyrnagc

Reaction score
bighouse:

I am pretty sure that you are referring to the book by Barney Hoskyns titled' "Hotel California." It covers a lot of musicians starting in the early 60's in Laurel Canyon, CA...Joni Mitchel, Gram Parsons, Jackson Browne and a ton of info on David Crosby and Stephen Stills along with Neil Young and Graham Nash. More musicians/songwriters than just these, it is a history of the Trubodor/LA singer-songwriter days and leads up to Don Henly and Glen Frey and the Eagles. It talks about Stills hanging out with Hendrix for hours just picking...and I am sure testing what ever mind altering substance they had available.

It's a good read although some critics have "poo-pooed it" for accurate historical value.

I got a copy of "Just Roll Tape" and what amazed me was how good he was with just the guitar and singing. Also several of these songs on the tape became some of their best songs and their signature sound. Stills was incredible!

Sometime, if you have never done it before, tune your guitar to EEEEBE (low to high) and mess around with it. Three songs that I can think of right off the top of my head that Stills wrote in this tuning were Suite Judy BLue Eyes, 4 & 20 and Carry On. SJBE is a blast to play once you learn it.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Yes he is incredible. He did a solo acoustic version of "Wooden Ships" that is one of my all time favorites.

West

bighouse

Reaction score
smyrnagc - thanks for the title. Yeah, Mr. Stills was very good early on, wasn't he. The album is, in some ways, the prototype for his biggest tunes in the 70s. I'm very taken with his dobro playing on Treetop Flyer, and have been inspired to learn the song - can't stop playing it! There's also a couple of vids of him on youtube, playing at different stages over the years, but again, the original version is the one I hear in my head!

I've known about the EEEEBE tuning for years but have yet to go there. Maybe it's time; I use a bunch of other altered tunings, but nothing nearly as radical as that. I just watched the clip from Woodstock on youtube, where CSN opened with SJBE - great stuff still(s)!

Wes - until I heard this album, I had always assumed Crosby wrote "Wooden Ships." I played it a lot back in the day. I lean towards the later version with the added verse (If you smile at me ...), probably because that was the one I heard for so many years, but do need to spend more time listening to the early version. (Are you referring to the version on JRT or is there another version he's recorded?!)

carry on, love the one you're with, for what its worth

Bill

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Oh gosh Bill, I wouldn't have a clue when it was recorded. I first heard it online actually...don't have it on CD or album.

West