just one bass

h60

Reaction score
Anyone out there have just one bass and it's a Guild? Tell me about it...

Dreamlander

Reaction score
I own one bass and it is a Guild 1975 JSII. Now did you want me to tell you about the bass, or tell you about how I only own one bass and it's a Guild? :?

h60

Reaction score
Dreamlander said:
I own one bass and it is a Guild 1975 JSII. Now did you want me to tell you about the bass, or tell you about how I only own one bass and it's a Guild? :?

I've been accused of being singleminded as I am looking at purchasing a '67 Starfire as my only bass. Given that I travel for work alot, I don't really have time for a regular gig, so I think I should have what ever bass sounds right to me, vice having the one bass that does it all generic sound....

So basically I'm just seeing if there is anyone else out there like me.

Dreamlander

Reaction score
If I had one bass to choose it would be a 60's Cherry Starfire II bass with the hagstrom pickups. :mrgreen:

h60

Reaction score
Dreamlander said:
If I had one bass to choose it would be a 60's Cherry Starfire II bass with the hagstrom pickups. :mrgreen:

+1

While the bass I'm ogeling is, as stated a '67 and is Cherry red, It began life as a Starfire (single pickup), but at some point someone added a second pickup. The original Hagstrom bisoic in the neck position + (oddly enuf) a 70's Guild humbucker in the bridge spot. Of course a couple of extra knobs as well. It plays like a dream. I'll probably sell the original hagstrom pickup once I get it, as it'll be easier to get a set of RWRP Dark Stars to put in it, then finding a corresponding hagstrom to replace that Guild Humbucker.

Dreamlander

Reaction score
Are those darkstars really as good as the hagstrom pickups? I have never heard either of them, just wondering.

h60

Reaction score
Dreamlander said:
Are those darkstars really as good as the hagstrom pickups? I have never heard either of them, just wondering.

I think so. The sound is pretty much spot on. But you have to be aware that they are "hot rodded" in that they have 2 magnets instead of 1 like the original Bi-Sonics did. This was a commen mod done to the Bi-Sonics by the guys that started Alembic back in the 60's.

if you've ever played a DeArmond Starfire bass, then this clip should help you understand:
http://www.basspickup.com/soundclips1.htm

or to here it on a 34" scale bass:
http://basstasters.com/pickups/Dark_Star.html

I loved the set I had in a '76 Starfire I once had. Man I miss that bass.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dreamlander said:

The word on the street is that they sound like the Bi-sonics and then some. If you want the Bi-sonic sound you get a Bi-sonic or a Dark Star. You can read details and get some sound clips here. There is also a fairly active Dark Star forum over at the Dude Pit.

a1Gavin

Reaction score
Hi H60,

I am fairly new to this forum so hope i dont get my behind booted for this.

I am not a fan of vintage bass especially not the 'F' word, I have however always been a fan of Warwick but always wanted something that would cover all sounds and stumbled on to Simon Farmer who builds from scratch (Gus Guitars) and his bass guitars sound awesome, I was fortunate enough to procure one of these and have 13 pin midi included using RMC peizo (see pic) I hook this up to a V-bass and can obtain almost any bass sound imaginable, acoustic, vintage, fretless and double bass. Certainly not a cheap option and defo not a vintage model, just thought i'd share...

Childrenyoungandold.jpg

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
h60 said:
So basically I'm just seeing if there is anyone else out there like me.

Don't worry, you're unique.

The first Guild I played was a Starfire. The first "real" bass I bought was the JS. I cannot recall why but it might have been as simple as being the only Guild hanging in the dealer's shop and a desire for instant gratification. About 5 years later I realized my true love was the Starfire and bought one used. Fast forward about 30 years and Mrs. Fro gets tapped to do a song leader gig in a living room. She wants help and I don't want to mess with an amp so I buy the B4.

So, if I can only have one...

The JS is my least favorite in terms of sound but it carries a lot of emotional baggage. It it were the only one I'd probably put roundwounds and Dark Stars on it which I suspect would bring the sound closer to the Starfire.

The Starfire I with roundwounds has been my favorite sound for years so it is likely to be the last one sold. Besides there is a coolness factor to the Starfire that transcends Guildies.

If I futz with the PU and an amp I can make the B4 sound pretty close to either of the others and it is the only one that I can actually use acoustically so it is hands down the most versatile but if I didn't have living rooms to play it would be the first to go.

My playing style (or lack there of) is such that I don't really notice a difference between the basses. They all feel the same. I suspect after a few 45 minute sets I'd remember which one is heavier but me playing that long is unlikely for several other reasons :)

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
a1Gavin said:
I am fairly new to this forum so hope i dont get my behind booted for this.

No problems from me. Besides there was a Guild in the picture:)

I do suspect that if you want one bass that can do it all, sound wise, you probably don't pick a vintage Guild. However it does seem that the easiest way to get a particulars sounds are with the instruments that first made them. I wonder what a Pilot owner might add to the discussion?

gilded

Reaction score
h60 said:
............. I'll probably sell the original hagstrom pickup once I get it, as it'll be easier to get a set of RWRP Dark Stars to put in it, then finding a corresponding hagstrom to replace that Guild Humbucker.

h60, when you get ready to sell that Bisonic, let me know. I'll give you a good price for it. Seriously.

On a related matter, I seem to remember reading that some of the later model Starfire II Bisonics had two magnets in the bridge position, but that would probably be later than '67. I have only heard clips of Dark Stars, but I like what I have heard very much. Again, this is only from reading and not hearing, but I think the Dark Stars are a little stouter and probably lend themselves to more current styles of music than a Bisonic. There used to be a lot of threads on this subject on the old Dude Pit.

I have a '66 Starfire I bass with a Bi-Sonic in the Bridge Position; I love it. On the other hand, I'm playing '60's music with it for the most part. What type of music do you like to play?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
h60 wrote: the bass I'm ogeling is, as stated a '67 and is Cherry red, It began life as a Starfire (single pickup), but at some point someone added a second pickup

Ineresting; there's a shop in Sumner, Wa about 40 miles North of me that has a similar Guild Bass. Pretty sure it's a 60's Starfire bass but it has an obviously added or replaced 2nd pickup. Can't comment in the technical aspects but the mods were done with function in mind, visually it has a homemade look to it.

fronobulax. I wonder what a Pilot owner might add to the discussion?[/quote

I know this guy has a Pilot Bass, got a screaming deal on local Craigslist. Never played a bass in his life, has no need for a bass and is totally preoccupied learning to play a 6 string. Diddled with it for a couple weeks & it's been collecting dust & taking up space ever since.

Someone was to come up with a good story on really needing a Pilot this guy I know might be tempted to accept a pretty reasonable offer.

Red it is, has a chip on the headstock someone filed off smooth. The guy I know didn't cause the damage & didn't do the file work either.

I would have kept the chip & glued it back, I mean this guy I know would have done that.

Still thinking on routing a rabbet where that chip is & fitting a piece of maple.

003045.jpg
003035.jpg

The EH Man

Reaction score
I have a 60's Jet Star and an 80's Ashbury but I'd have to say if I could only have one bass and had to pick I'd go with the Jet Star. Great neck, plays like a dream, and it has a great vintage sound.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
To me it would depend what you want to use the bass for.

If you primarily play guitar and just want to sit on the couch and thump a little, the Starfire is the best choice. The short scale will be less of an adjustment, and the big body is very comfortable playing while sitting down.

If you want the bass for a band situation, I'd go with a Pilot! The poplar body is light weight so it won't kill your shoulder and the 34" scale will sound better in a rock mix. The balance is perfect on a pilot as where every Guild bass before that is headstock heavy.

Pilot's are also a whole lot cheaper!

That's my $.02.

(Oh, and I have 22 Guild basses :( )

h60

Reaction score
I don't want a do it all sound. I want my sound.

I know that seems contradictory to what we as bass players do (and btw I am a bass player not a guiter player picking up bass).

I think as a whole bass players have lost the distinctive tones that were present in earlier rock. While guitarist still spend weeks months and years trying to perfect their Jimi tone for Vooodoo Chile' (slight return) we have become kinda stagnant. There are alot of bassists out there that are technically proficient, but who plays like JPJ or Noel Redding or Jack Bruce or Casady anymore?
I suppose that answeres what kind of music I play. And Don't get me wrong Lotsa great jazz players out there but I just don't see it in Rock anymore. I want the big kinda tone Alllen Woody had. And I heard it in a Starfire bass with Dark Stars.