8417 TBass Head / Matching Cabinet - Separate eBay Auctions

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Same seller but separate auctions:

Head Auction 2-Channel - guitar and bass, 8417s, Master volume control, original caps.

tbasshead8417s.jpg

Cabinet Auction 2 X 12" speakers, make not identified in auction text.

2X12tbasscab.jpg

cj

matsickma

Reaction score
The Seller is referencing some Guild literature that is close to correct for the amp he is selling but not completely correct.

In the literature used in the auction the Guild wording discusses the unique cabinet design that is good for both bass and guitar. It references that there is one bass speaker and one guitar speaker in the cabinet and it includes a cross-over to allow the bass speaker to only drive the low frequencies of a bass guitar! In proincipal it sounds like a pretty cool idea.

The speaker with the bass / guitar/ crossover is not the same one for sale. Notice the difference in orientation of the Guild logo on the cabinets. Also notice that the Head to Cabinet mounting bracket is different on the amp in the literature.

I have never seen a real example of the amp in the literature. It is hard to say if it was or product or a concept.

Note: The Thunderbass cabinets of this time period are using particle board. I know for sure the 2-12 cab and the head use particle board. I have to check to see if the Thunderbass Quantum 2-15 cab use particle board or plywood. (I think particle board.)

M

matsickma

Reaction score
I believe the cabinet in the auction is NOT a 2-12 cab. it looks to be a 2-15 cab. If you look closely you can see two speakers and at the bottom of the cab a baffel opening.

The 2-12 cab is a sealed design. The 2-15 is sealed in the back and has a front cutout port. I requested dimensions on the cabinet from the seller. With that info I can confirm 2-12 or 2-15. I also asked him to check the speaker size. I'll updated as I get info.

M

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks; agree that the adverlit more closely matches the amp but doesn't come close on the speaker cab.

tbassad.jpg

I have this amp; 8417s, 4-tube preamp but the faceplate doesn't have the dark/light contrast - it does have an area that has been dulled at the factory as if sandblasted. Mine is missing the bottom handle/support that, at least in the pic, mates with another piece of hardware to keep the head level ... whatever cabinet it's perched on.

I don't know if this model only came in beige tolex; the tolex is long gone on mine but if the faceplate in the adverlit was plain shiny metal and the tolex was beige, it would hardly show up in the adverlit suggesting that the light/dark on the faceplace is 'Madison Avenue'. I thought the cab might have 15" speakers too but the lack of anything in the pic for visual reference for height made it a little ambiguous. Thanks again. cj

RWood

Reaction score
It looks like the guy with the head cabinet removed the item from auction. Anybody know what it went for?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Richard; looks like the auction was taken down; as if the head was sold elsewhere - I didn't notice where it had gotten to $-wise before gone; not relisted as of this post. J