Guild Superstar - converting to 3 prong power cord

Reaction score
I will be putting a grounded power cord on this amp. Looking for opinions on
the polarity switching? Leave it or convert it so it doesn't switch polarity.
TIA

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd leave it. It doesn't do any harm and might possibly help. Make sure to remove the cap to ground. They don't call that the "death cap" for nothing.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Unless I am very much mistaken, you do not want polarity reversing...don't want the hot side shifting to the neutral side...do what I did with my Traynor YBA-1...take out the switch and put a hole plug in it...

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bill Ashton said:
Unless I am very much mistaken, you do not want polarity reversing...don't want the hot side shifting to the neutral side...do what I did with my Traynor YBA-1...take out the switch and put a hole plug in it...

You don't have to do that. There is a capacitor going from the fuse holder(usually) to ground. Clip that out, that's the connection to ground that you don't want(death cap). When the capacitor leaks, the chassis becomes the neutral and then you run the risk of becoming the earth ground and dead.

With a three prong plug, the chassis is connected directly to the ground plug on the cord. You can still switch polarity, but it effectively does nothing, since there is no connection to the chassis - the ac and B+ are isolated from the player. Cosmetically, it's more pleasing than a plug, IMHO. You don't need to touch the polarity switch on the Guild amps at all.

danerectal

Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
take out the switch and put a hole plug in it...
Where does one find said hole plugs. I need to find some 1/8" in diameter like in certain Electro Harmonix pedals that require no power (Switchblade).

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Bill! Sometimes I forget they still sell other stuff than toys and cellphones.