guild 200s amplifier

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
hey everybody,
im new here but been playing harp and guitar out of guild amps for many years, i just bought a 1961-62 guild 200s stereo amp and i was wondering if anybody knows where I can get the schematic. btw while i was searching around i came accross this site called vintaxe.com .they have lots of old guild catalogs that are available to look through and copy etc for a month for a price of 10 dollars access fee. they have lots of other vintage related stuff. nice to find a group that likes guild products. ive also got a 12 inch thunder amp, a thunderbird with two 12s and a thunderstar all great tube amps. any body got any tube info on these amps? like which brand tubes work best

247blue

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Heya,
Welcome to the forum!
Tube recommendations for replacement 7591's are JJ tubes and Electro Harmonix.
matsickma is the resident Guild ampiphile. I've got a Maverick, cj's working on a Thunderbass and Dreamlander has a Mav Bass.
People with more brains and skills should be along shortly....

gilded

Reaction score
Welcome indeed! I have a few guild amps, but am content to let other people fix them for me. I'm learning to like JJ 7591s quite a lot, as well as their EL 34 and 6V6 tubes.
I have JJ power tubes in a Hiwatt 50, a Fender Champ and a '66 Thunderbird.

Did you buy the 200s that was on eBay recently? Seemed like a cool amp. Hope you have fun with it.

I think you will find that some folks around here have schematics for most of the various thunder amps, too.

Feel free to post pics. I'd love to see what the inside of a 200s looks like, or the speaker arrangement on the 2x12 Thunderbird.

Again, welcome.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi 247blue and welcome! Did you buy the Guild 200 that was recently listed on eBay? I don't have a schematic for the 200 but I do for the Thunder 1, Thunderbird, and Thunderstar. Is your Thunderbird an earlier model with the steel bands on the side panels and beige tolex or later w/ black tolex? PM me with your email address; will be happy to send you what I have. Thanks for the link! cj

DennisMiller

Reaction score
I never even knew there were amps made with the Guild name on them. I use a little, (11"x8"x7"), Mackie SRM150 as my acoustic amp. For the little I do outside of my music room, it lets me walk in and out once to do a gig.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Dennis: here's some advertising literature generally from the mid-60s

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5831

Guild was in the amp biz pretty much from the mid-50s on, made it's own versions of Fender / Gibson / Ampegs into the early/mid-60s when the gear you see in the literature displaced the earlier-style amps. cj