S-100 switch replacement?

atljogger

Reaction score
The pickup switch on my 1974 S-100 does not stay in place very well, and according to guy who worked on the guitar, it is quite bent. He tried to bend back into place but bottom line is that you barely touch the pickup switch and it gives. Does this mean I need to replace the switch? Is it possible to track down an actual vintage S-100 switch if so?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
atljogger said:
The pickup switch on my 1974 S-100 does not stay in place very well, and according to guy who worked on the guitar, it is quite bent. He tried to bend back into place but bottom line is that you barely touch the pickup switch and it gives. Does this mean I need to replace the switch? Is it possible to track down an actual vintage S-100 switch if so?

Hello atljogger,

That same switch is still available although most places only stock the cheaper Asian-made copy.

This is what you need: http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/parts_detail.php?id=130

If you have problems getting one, just get back with me.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

atljogger

Reaction score
Thanks Hans! So is this the actual vintage switch or just made to look like a vintage? Just wondering - everything else on my S-100C is stock from 1974 so I'd love to keep it that way.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
atljogger said:
Thanks Hans! So is this the actual vintage switch or just made to look like a vintage? Just wondering - everything else on my S-100C is stock from 1974 so I'd love to keep it that way.

Hello atljogger,

There's no such thing like a '74 switch. These parts are bought in bulk and the switch in your guitar could have been manufactured in 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973 ......... who knows! That particular switch was made by Switchcraft and they still make that same switch.
If you would rather have an older used switch I probably could find one for you but I could not guarantee that it was from that period, unless I'd taken it out of a guitar from that period.

Hope this makes sense!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

danerectal

Reaction score
I'd say the new ones still made by Switchcraft are the way to go. 30 years is definitely long enough for at least minor corrosion to take place. Since you still have the old one, the tip should be able to transfer if you can get it off. If had issues with that on the ones I've tried,but they do come off. If you can't remove it, you can find a reasonable facsimile on eBay for about $4.5-$5 with shipping. I'm actually trying to locate a gold one myself for an S-100 project I'm of which I'm in the middle. Bottom line, the Switchcraft parts are worth it like Hans' page says. That's why most of them are still intact after 30+ years.