JS Bass Case for sale on ebay; long or short scale??

danerectal

Reaction score
Sorry, I jumped on it before I saw your post :oops: . It looks a lot like the short scale one I've seen before. I'm threw in a bid on it because Dreamlander just got a '71 JSII with Hagstroms, and it didn't come with any case.

gilded

Reaction score
no problemo. the guy sez interior dimension is 45 & 5/8ths inches. Why don't you get dreamlander to measure his bass??

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Measurements might be helpful, but...
I have never handled a LS JS but I have seen pictures and talked to people who have. I believe making a JS a LS bass was just a matter of where the bridge was attached to the body. On the LS the bridge is practically at the strap pin whereas on a "normal" one there are 3" or so of "body" between the string anchors and the strap pin. All this is to say that my educated guess is that a JS and JS LS have exactly the same dimensions in terms of sizing a case. This makes sense because it simplifies the logistics of offering two different scales. The only difference is a) where you drill the holes for the bridge and b) which strings you put on. Everything else is the same. (Of course given that there are sweet spots for pickups, it does raise the possibility that the PU positions are also different).

Hopefully Hans will come along and confirm my suspicion or continue to politely correct my wrong impressions.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK. I looked around for a picture of a JS LS Bass but was unsuccessful.

However I did find the following;

On the JS Bass you'll see that the overall length is 45-1/8" and the neck joins the body at the 18th fret.

untitled.jpg

On the JS LS Bass you'll see that the overall length is 47-1/4" and the neck joins the body at the 17th fret.

guild75p10.jpg

So if you do the math the LS is 2-1/8" longer.

Now the difference between the 34" scale and the 30-1/2" scale is 3-1/2".

Therefore, since the bass is only 2-1/8" longer and the scale is 3-1/2" longer, the difference has to be made up by moving the bridge back 1-3/8".

(Of course this is all bassed, no pun intended, on the catalog dimensions)

Also note that the nut width on the 30-1/2" scale is 1-1/2" and on the 34" scale 1-5/8"

I would then have to reason that the LS has a longer, and wider neck.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
The Guilds of Grot said:
I would then have to reason that the LS has a longer, and wider neck.

And I stand corrected :) although it does make me wonder if the picture I am recalling was a homebrew LS and not factory.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Sort of wish I had seen that case a while back. I ended up buying a Gator flight case for my JS-II instead. Good protection but sort of bulky and heavy. Geez, I'm sounding like an old-timer now... Next thing I'll be buying one of those mini-amps everyone seems to love now... :wink:

But do any of you start to wonder about using the somewhat flimsy original cases on some of your old guitars? (I'm sensitive about this - years ago the headstock on my Ricky 4005 was sheared off when an amp in the truck fell on the case and crushed it.) I've been thinking i should get a flight case for my Rick as well. Haven't done it, but...

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Happy Face said:
But do any of you start to wonder about using the somewhat flimsy original cases on some of your old guitars? (I'm sensitive about this - years ago the headstock on my Ricky 4005 was sheared off when an amp in the truck fell on the case and crushed it.) I've been thinking i should get a flight case for my Rick as well. Haven't done it, but...

Guess it depends upon what you mean by flimsy? As far as I can tell my vintage cases are as strong as the hardcases I have for several other instruments which, as much as it pains me to say it, would cost much much more to replace than my vintage basses, even if I had to replace them in Europe at local prices. Maybe I have my head in the sand or maybe I just don't play the kinds of gigs where the equipment is in a truck :)

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm pretty impressed with the case for my Starfire - it strikes me as a good sturdy case like you would find for an acoustic guitar, if that makes sense. My early '70s Les Paul Bass has a really sturdy case too. But my late-'60s Gibson EB-2 case is flimsy chipboard and probably doesn't protect the instrument from anything but dust!

Dreamlander

Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering if this case would fit long or short scale, it fit my '70 short scale JSII perfectly. It fits the body great and the headstock is about 1 inch from the end. My other JSII case for my '75 has about 3 in between the headstock and the end, so that case was probably made to fit either long or short. I am just guessing here, but it seems likely. If you have a short scale I am sure it would fit any JSII case.