Where Were My Guild Guitars Made?

Volt

Reaction score
I have bought three new Guild guitars over the years and wonder where they were made. A ~'73 Bluesbird, '75 D40 acoustic, and a '78 S-300.
My searching suggests that all Guild guitars made in the '70's were made in Westerly, R.I. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Volt said:
I have bought three new Guild guitars over the years and wonder where they were made. A ~'73 Bluesbird, '75 D40 acoustic, and a '78 S-300.
My searching suggests that all Guild guitars made in the '70's were made in Westerly, R.I. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Volt,

That's correct!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Volt

Reaction score
The label inside my D-40 doesn't say what city it was made in, it only says "Made In U.S.A." It has the model and serial number written by hand also.

I have been trying to find information about my 1975 era D-40 cutaway and there is next to nothing on the 'net about it. All I find is the Richie Havens model and the Bluegrass model. I must conclude my D-40 must be a very rare guitar.

IMG_0313sm03.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Volt said:
I have been trying to find information about my 1975 era D-40 cutaway and there is next to nothing on the 'net about it.

Have you tried The Guild Guitar Book by Hans Moust? I'm sure if the information you're interested in is not there, Hans will either be able to tell you more here, suggest you wait for Volume II, or ask for pictures because you really have something unusual.

Not a knock on you personally, but I will note that I am frequently surprised to realize that a bricks and mortar library still is useful and helpful.

Volt

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Volt said:
I have been trying to find information about my 1975 era D-40 cutaway and there is next to nothing on the 'net about it.

Have you tried The Guild Guitar Book by Hans Moust?
I just bought "The (Guild) Bible" just about 10 minutes ago. :mrgreen:

Yeah, the library. I'll have a look. I can't remember the last time I was in one.

Volt

Reaction score
I removed the rear pot cover on my S-300 today to see what size caps it uses and what do ya know, it says Westerly R.I. on the inside of the cover. :mrgreen:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Volt said:
I removed the rear pot cover on my S-300 today to see what size caps it uses and what do ya know, it says Westerly R.I. on the inside of the cover. :mrgreen:

Hello Volt,

Just out of curiosity, what's the finish suffix that's written after the S-300 model designation?
Is that 'WAL' or something else?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Volt

Reaction score
Hans, it's "ch". Meaning "Cherry" I would presume.

BTW, my tone control caps sizes are; neck = 0.047uf, bridge = 0.01uf.

Perhaps there is more info in your Guild Bible, but from some searching I have been doing on the Interwebz my 1975 D-40C MAY have been the first year for a Guild flat-top cutaway acoustic. If so then....... :mrgreen:

I don't know if I should be concerned about revealing the serial numbers on my guitars or not. Should I?

Feb232008_0364c.jpg

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Volt said:
Hans, it's "ch". Meaning "Cherry" I believe.

Thanks Volt,

Yes, that's correct!

from some searching I have been doing on the Interwebz my 1975 D-40C MAY have been the first year for a Guild flat-top cutaway acoustic.

Yes, 1975 was the introduction year for the D-40C.

I don't know if I should be concerned about revealing the serial numbers on my guitars or not. Should I?

There was a little thread about that not too long ago. Personally, I'm not too concerned about it but some of the people who responded definitely had a different opinion.
See for yourself!

http://www.letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6604

Sincerely,

Hans Moust