Now I'm Upset!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I'd have never gone to see "Kid Rock" in Shreveport last night, but my son did. My son has been raised listening to Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker Band, Lynard Skynard and The Charlie Daniels Band. He calls last night about 10:00 from the concert and tells me that Kid Rock had just introduced a surprise guest......Dickie Betts! He said the place went nuts.....he opened with "Ramblin Man" I'm upset. :cry:

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:lol: His name is Rock, he has too, right! When my son was young, I found a "Kid Rock" CD in his room with a hand shooting the bird on it. I broke it and threw it away it......a bit of parental censorship, being a tyrant and all! I've never listened to him, is he good?

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
: found a "Kid Rock" CD in his room with a hand shooting the bird on it. I broke it and threw it away it......a bit of parental censorship, being a tyrant and all! I've never listened to him, is he good?

West

Jeez West, kind of harsh, there's modern meds that help smooth the road.

Far as Kid Rock goes, he's more tolerable than some, not something I'd pay & stand in line to see. Isn't he Wylon Jennings kid or something, nooo, that's wrong, I'm thinking of Skeeter Jennings

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know exactly how you felt. This parental censorship thing... I don't know about Kid Rock, but I've got a 12 year old who listens to rap and it drives me friggin' crazy. I've lost my temper several times when he sneaks in with some CD that's not edited.

Why did we let this violent music become mainstream? It's nuts! As a parent, you can't shield your kids from all this really bad stuff. Kids shouldn't have to be exposed to this.

Sorry, I just got off my soap box. It just really gets under my skin.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
West R Lee said:
: found a "Kid Rock" CD in his room with a hand shooting the bird on it. I broke it and threw it away it......a bit of parental censorship, being a tyrant and all! I've never listened to him, is he good?

West

Jeez West, kind of harsh, there's modern meds that help smooth the road.

Far as Kid Rock goes, he's more tolerable than some, not something I'd pay & stand in line to see. Isn't he Wylon Jennings kid or something, nooo, that's wrong, I'm thinking of Skeeter Jennings

:lol: Well you know me Jeff....direct descendant of Adolf Hitler and all.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
I know exactly how you felt. This parental censorship thing... I don't know about Kid Rock, but I've got a 12 year old who listens to rap and it drives me friggin' crazy. I've lost my temper several times when he sneaks in with some CD that's not edited.

Why did we let this violent music become mainstream? It's nuts! As a parent, you can't shield your kids from all this really bad stuff. Kids shouldn't have to be exposed to this.

Not a problem Chaz, I couldn't agree more. Mine are grown now, so all we can do is hope we've taught them well.

West

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chazmo said:

Because urban America buys into the idea that you're going to be dead soon, so you might as well be a good looking corpse. A lot of the ghetto kids don't believe that they'll live to be thirty. And the little suburban kids see it on tv and imitate it.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well from my point of view Kid Rock isn't all that bad.

I'm no fan of his by any means but I have heard some of his stuff.

He's not gangster rap like 50 cent, Ludacris and Snoopdog.

He's not even as hardcore as Eminen. He has a sense of humor in his music.

Here's his "Cowboy" video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rcgm5kEdGk&feature=related

And here he is performing with Hank Williams Jr.;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne6FBXa8R6I

He can sing as I've heard some of his duets with "regular" singers.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Chazmo said:

Not a problem Chaz, I couldn't agree more. Mine are grown now, so all we can do is hope we've taught them well.

West
Mine are still pretty young, and I don't think I've taught them very well at all. I'm going to work on that.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I don't mind Kid Rock's music that much, it's the off ice stuff that I tune out. Nowadays with the instant millions there comes a sense of entitlement in all things. Puts them above the law in most things, in their eyes and those of their peers and apparently Judges.

As for the Rap music genre, I'm real surprised it's lasted this long. My daughter listens to music, not rap, but the "artists" change almost daily. No staying power at all. When she plays me something that she thinks I'll like, it all sounds the same to me.

When my kids listened to something that I thought was objectionable, I didn't "over react", I listened to it too and thought the words that were used were simply used for shock purposes. It's not like they haven't heard the words before either at school or from their mom :shock: so I didn't make a fuss and it ran it's course quicker than a tummy bug.

I have found that there is very little substance in the music, again the labels seem to be going for the quick hit on the chart, sell the whole CD, send out a fast tour to make the money and move to another artist. One thing my kids do have on their iPods is a good dose of '70s music mixed with the newer stuff.

I guess even they want to listen to the timeless stuff as well.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Kid Rock is OK - anyone who can make it with Pamela Anderson *has* to be OK!!

My 17 year old likes "angry" rock - Rage Against the Machine, groups like that. He's not angry himself, luckily, just likes the music. Hates rap, thank God.

My 14 year old loves the Beatles, Elton john, and classicsl music.

Go figure...

walrus

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Graham said:
I don't mind Kid Rock's music that much, it's the off ice stuff that I tune out. Nowadays with the instant millions there comes a sense of entitlement in all things. Puts them above the law in most things, in their eyes and those of their peers and apparently Judges.

As for the Rap music genre, I'm real surprised it's lasted this long. My daughter listens to music, not rap, but the "artists" change almost daily. No staying power at all. When she plays me something that she thinks I'll like, it all sounds the same to me.

When my kids listened to something that I thought was objectionable, I didn't "over react", I listened to it too and thought the words that were used were simply used for shock purposes. It's not like they haven't heard the words before either at school or from their mom :shock: so I didn't make a fuss and it ran it's course quicker than a tummy bug.

I have found that there is very little substance in the music, again the labels seem to be going for the quick hit on the chart, sell the whole CD, send out a fast tour to make the money and move to another artist. One thing my kids do have on their iPods is a good dose of '70s music mixed with the newer stuff.

I guess even they want to listen to the timeless stuff as well.

Very well put, Graham.

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
I remember in my teens, my parents didn't want me to listen to Rock 'n Roll or the Beatles etc. :shock: I vowed I'd never try to influence my sons' choice of music - but I agree that I don't like Rap one bit myself. Fortunately my sons don't either :mrgreen: James has asked to copy quite a few of my CDs of 60s and 70s stuff 8)

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
Hey West,

If you made it through the first two Kid Rock videos, here's one that was a major hit that he sings in; (Albeit with some electronic help)

Only God Knows Why

Surprising Grot, that's the first Kid Rock song I've ever really listened to and I kind of liked it.

Thanks,
West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Than I find out last night, after playing my son some Allman Brothers music that Dickie Betts also played "Statesboro Blues" and "Blue Sky". :evil:

West