Geezers I play with

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
Well, not with as in a 'group' but I'll post up some who play at the same clubs as me (pretty tough competeition). Geoff Fry lives in the same village as me - has a great music room, full of guitars and a PA system, but sadly no Guilds :cry: This is his YouTube site - 'handful of dust' comes up - but check out 'Mad world' as well. This is what the Limeys sound like :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RAw9xUMOPk

Geoff did the recording straight off - there was no tracking or clever stuff.

If you like this I'll post up another old Geezer - Ray Croll, still doing the open mikes at 81 (hope for me yet) :)

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I liked it even without the picture. I was just walking around the room and listening as it played, and later discovered the quality photography. When are doing a video, Jerry?

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, there are a lot of guys as good as Geoff where I play - so you can see why I feel totally inadequate when my turn is called :oops:

No West, Geoff didn't write either - the provenance of the songs he does on YouTube is listed, plus the make of the guitars he is using, a Turner and a vintage wooden resonator - both songwriters are fully accredited. Don't know that Geoff has written any songs - unlike several of the guys at the club who are brillant award winning writers on top of being great singer guitarists ('taint fair :!: ).

I mentioned Ray Croll - 81 and still going strong but I'd like to have heard him 20 years ago - here's a link. Smuggler's Tale is a tune he put to a poem by Rudyard Kipling:

http://www.myspace.com/raycroll

As for me recording - well I've floated the idea to Geoff that the guy he's using (just started up in recording so I might get a cheap rate) could record me, and we are still awaiting the legendary 'Brifolk Radio' (now known as 'The Music Well') recording they did of 'Folk at the Oak' last Summer. Last word was that they want a decent 'Folk at the Oak' link set up - which Geoff Fry is working on. Apparently when it does come out (but don't hold your breath) it will be 2 hours worth and my one song effort (Spancil Hill) will actually be on it. I'll believe it when I hear it :mrgreen:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Graham - did you notice a cameo apperance of Coastie a couple of times on 'Mad World' - just like a picture you did once :mrgreen:

If and when Britfolk is broadcast (web access), I'll see how bad I sound before letting you know :oops:

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
JerryR said:
Hey Graham - did you notice a cameo apperance of Coastie a couple of times on 'Mad World' - just like a picture you did once :mrgreen:

missing_link.gif

Coastie-madworld.gif

There certainly is a familial resemblance isn't there Jer? :mrgreen: